Whats going on in Egypt?

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

ryn

Whats going on in Egypt?

Post by ryn »

http://theinternettoday.net/news/urgent ... ompletely/
Well, wtf is causing all this and how long you think it will go on.
cokalsM

Re: Whats going on in Egypt?

Post by cokalsM »

From what I can tell, their leader has been in power for 25 years (I think because of high poverty rates) and they want him out, or something along those lines. Now they are getting hit with tear gas, rubber bullets, no Internet, cell phone, and apparently he says he's not leaving power.

Also, Internet usage in Egypt:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n7RltmTdk-g/T ... 270111.jpg
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Matt

Re: Whats going on in Egypt?

Post by Matt »

I've been keeping up on this for the last few days because the outcome of this could seriously impact our relations with the middle east.

This is very "TL;DR" because I want to get to my point...
This is what I understand has happened. It all began with Tunisia. I'm not exactly sure what precipitated it, but basically riots forced the president to leave and the president steps in. Essentially, the people of Egypt want better rights and saw what happened in Tunisia and so they wanted to get their ruler out. Mubarack (the president of Egypt) as been the ruler for 29 years. Every time an "election" comes around, he basically tells everyone that it's either him or extremist muslims. He deprives his country of basic essentials. He's a dictator but he is an ally of the United States as he does what the US tells him.

Other Arab countries are watching closely because they have leaders that are in power for quite some time (20-30 yrs) and depending on what happens after these riots the same thing could happen to other countries.

If Egypt gets taken over by extremist muslims this could be very bad for the world. There is one group in particular - the Muslim Brotherhood - who could rise up and take over. Even if this group is elected into office democratically, this could mean our alliance with Egypt is severed and extremist groups could take a stronghold there.

I'm personally glad that the people have risen up, but I am afraid of what will happen next. I personally think someone should step in as an "interim" position - and realize that is only what it is - until a new president can be elected. I hope that whoever takes over will have a level head and handle the situation well.

Anyways - what do you guys think of the situation there? Who has been keeping up with it?
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot