Cell Phone

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

y0bailey

Re: Cell Phone

Post by y0bailey »

Holy shit, my Droid 1 lasted 2 years and I can upgrade! I have never had a phone keep me happy for this long. I am seriously considering keeping it until it dies, until I saw this:

I have had 2 casio rugged phones in the past. I loved both of them. All I do is mountain bike, hike, jump in streams. Now I have my D1 stuffed into a huge bulky otter box. I can ditch the otter box completely!

I am torn! Give me advice dudes!
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Looks like its from a science fiction movie. Go for it!

But you'd might as well wait till your droid konks out then, upgrade, no?
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

The Droid 1 has been out for 22 months? It really doesn't seem like that long.

If I was you my concern would be the Casio presumably does what it says it does well, but it doesn't have a slide out keyboard. So just take that into consideration. Maybe you don't care about the keyboard.

I have some other concerns about this phone (oddly enough like build quality), but I'm sure those are unfounded. I just hate to buy phones that are not from LG, Motorola, Samsung, HTC or some other large cell phone company. Casio has just never hit me as a strong cell phone brand.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
y0bailey

Post by y0bailey »

The 2 casio's I have had in the past (all part of this rugged series) have lasted their full 2 years. They have all been amazing. It meets military spec so it has been tested like crazy.

I think I can live without a slide out keyboard. I have found myself using it less and less, and honestly the "Casio" version of swype looks pretty impressive.

I will check it out in person today. It has also been rooted already, so I can de-bload all of verizons garbage right off the bat.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

That's the other thing. If you get a Motorola device, Samsung, or HTC (especially HTC) you know it is going to be rooted.

And sure the Casio is rooted now, but how many custom roms are there going to be?

The other thing is if you go with a Google device (like say all top of the line HTC devices or the Nexus series) your going to get things like.... Oh I don't know... Netflix... Which currently only HTC and Nexus devices have.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

It comes down to how "smart" do you want your phone to be?
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=bigcfk]It comes down to how "smart" do you want your phone to be?[/quote]

How do you figure that? A modern Android 2.2 phone is just as smart as the next modern Android phone 2.2.

Only 4% of stock phones have Android 2.3.x - http://developer.android.com/resources/ ... sions.html
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Smart as in features., not based on OS #. A phone that can not do email, for instance, is not "smart." A phone with shotty GPS is not as "smart." I'd say a phone that can't do Netflix is not as "smart." etc. and so forth.
(But frankly, Netflix on a phone is such a preposterous idea I can't imagine anybody really needing/utilizing it.)

Yes, 2.2 and 2.2 phones have the same capabilities, but what if your on a carrier that disables features, e.g. tethering, wouldn't you say it's not as smart or capable?

All I figure by "smart" is features.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

You want the smartest phone out there as of tomorrow? Get the most powerful flagship phone HTC offers.

If you didn't know that before now then you should know it based on the fact that only HTC phones got the Netflix app (The Samsung Nexus S doesn't count since it is a ADP).

And all carriers charge to tether (again the Nexus phones don't count because their ADPs).
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

[quote=PhaseDMA]Get the most powerful flagship phone HTC offers.[/quote]I have been an HTC fanboy for about four years now. I pretty much refuse to get anything else. I will back Phase on this.

[quote=PhaseDMA]HTC phones got the Netflix app[/quote] Shitty thing though is that it appears to only work when connected to WiFi. I really want to abuse my unlimited data plan even more.

[quote=PhaseDMA]And all carriers charge to tether[/quote]There are ways around that.

Also, Phase, I appear to have GPS working on CM7.0.3.1. It didn't want to work right away, but running GPS Status ([/url]https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result[/url]) to download A-GPS data seemed to do the trick.