gmail question

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Thermite Man

gmail question

Post by Thermite Man »

I remember, vaguely, about a feature of gmail where you could have emails sent directly to a specific folder by using an extension in your address line.

myemail+randomfolder@gmail.com would have that email address only hit that folder.

Or was I dreaming of a extremely useful feature of gmail?
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
PhaseDMA

Re: gmail question

Post by PhaseDMA »

Just set up a filter to move it to that label, and archive it.

Find the email. Click the checkbox. Click the "More" button. Click "Create Filter". Click "Create filter with this search" (it should already have from "myemail+randomfolder@gmail.com" set as default. Click the "Skip the Inbox (Archive it)" checkbox. Click the "Apply the label" checkbox and select the label you want. Click the "create filter" button.

That should do what you want exactly.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

So if I give someone my email, for example if I wanted all my receipts to go to an archive called receipts I could give out my email as myemail+receipts@gmail.com it would go to that directory?
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques

Post by askmeques »

You'd have to set up the filter to move all emails sent to myemail+receipts@gmail.com to a "receipts" folder/tag, but then, yes.
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Wait, I don't think the "+reciepts" is necessary.

myemail@gmail.com and a custom filter will do what you want.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I would have to set up the filter to apply to so many different things though. I go to the apple store and they send me a receipt then store X and they also email me a receipt I would have to set up a filter to search both emails, I feel like it is easier to just tell them to email me at whatever+this@gmail I will mess around with these things on monday when I have some time off work.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Yes, you can get exactly what you are describing. Use Anth's walkthrough.

On related noted, me and Sarah do this with our own domains quite often. For example, when she was doing all the wedding planning, everytime she was asked for an email address from somebody that had to do with the wedding (like vendors, etc), she would always give them something like wedding@whatIgaut.com

I went overboard with mine, and for EVERY SITE that I set up an account with, I would give them a new email. Like, when I created an account with facebook, I would use the email account facebook@schwippy.com. What that did was give me a way to organize, as well as be able to trace spam back to the offending site who sold my info.
I dont do this anymore, as gmail pretty much fixed the spam problems i used to have.... now I just give everyone my one real gmail addy, but yeah. twas fun.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.