Desktop Shopping

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

plasma2002

Re: Desktop Shopping

Post by plasma2002 »

I agree on the ion issue. Dont do it.

Oil is awesome for display, and display only. If the oil is organic (vegetable) it will rot, and even if its mineral, it will still get dirty over time, causing a lot more maintenance than one might imagine. Also, good luck swapping out parts easily :p
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

y0's instructions were spot on. I had half his finesse and my HTPC has been rolling along 24/7 for the last 2 years.

Really, as long as you're paying attention, you're fine. It's like when you're woodworking... measure twice, cut once. Before you commit to something, verify you're right, then go for it.

Oh, and if your computer doesn't turn on when it magically should, check to make sure your PSU is in the on position before you begin disassembling various components (including mobo). :-)

Also, re: oil cooling. If I got into that, could my computer make french fries, too?
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Wordburger. Thanks, y0.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=y0bailey]Step 1: Install CPU onto Mobo (do this outside of case...makes it much easier). Thermal paste already applied with stock CPUs..and I think the heatsink is already installed on the bulldozer AMD chips. I also install my mem while everything is outside of the case.[/quote]

I watched the Newegg video on how to build a computer and they suggested building the computer outside the case. It seemed downright idiotic to be honest. Especially with the graphics cards and such. Also providing power to a ungrounded motherboard seemed idiotic and potentially dangerous.

HOWEVER - Putting the CPU and memory into the motherboard before putting it into the case seems pretty smart because the CPU clearly isn't going to EVER flop around once it is secured, and there is almost as little chance the memory is going to flop around (although installing memory is probably the easiest thing being easier than installing a HD or ROM drive).
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

[quote=Jenna]Also, re: oil cooling. If I got into that, could my computer make french fries, too?[/quote]

Why yes, yes it can.

http://junkypc.com/i-deep-fried-my-computer-literally/
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

So why should I get the Gigabyte GA-990FX motherboard rather than say the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128521 ) which is $90less, and is also AM3+ and has the same memory capacity?

The only difference I can tell is it's much cheaper and it's FSB is 200 mhz less (which doesn't seem like a lot?).

There is also the 5 Vs 2 PCI express slots, but do you think I need that many?

Don't worry - I'm sure I can come up with even more annoying questions.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
y0bailey

Post by y0bailey »

No reason in particular. I didn't want to skimp on your build, but left plenty of room to do so if needed. The 990FXA is on sale for $138 with rebate. I have the 970A in my rig and I like it just fine. I cannot however run SLI...which is why I like the 990FXA
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

Not to hijack, but...

A friend of mine built a computer from scratch. Everything worked great until about 6 months. I don't remember exactly what it was doing but it one day just completely stopped working. Realizing it was above his head, he gave it to someone to fix....

End of story: The computer ended up being looked at by six people total. I know all of these people that looked at it and they are very good with computers (One of whom knows more about computers than anyone I know). Almost everything shipped back to Newegg to be replaced at one point or another, yet they could never figure it out. These people also work with tons of hardware that they could easily and readily swap out with for troubleshooting.

I know that is probably a rare occurance, but the fact that the computer you just spent several hundreds of dollars on can break, leaving you screwed and unable to just send it to Dell (in instances like the example above) to fix is keeping me from building a computer...and it probably will stay like that. If my friend had purchased his computer from Dell, it would have a warrarnty on it and he could have just sent it back and let them deal with it, or replace it. Instead, hours were spent trying to figure out what was up, and he still has no computer.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Oh hey, Billy Buzzkill.
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

:likesthis:

Just letting him know that doing something because it is cheaper sometimes doesn't justify the issues that could result from it, especially if he was not fully prepared to do it in the first place, as his original post indicated.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]