Desktop Shopping

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Re: Desktop Shopping

Post by PhaseDMA »

I have to be honest. The fear of frying a piece $50 piece of equipment scares the shit out of me much less anything more expensive.

It isn't the actual ability to build a computer. I know I can do that. I have took computer's completely apart and resembled them mixed and matched into other computers.

I think I just hear too much "Be extremely careful with the motherboard placement" (how the hell do you put in a motherboard wrong? The ports can go only one way) and "Don't put to much thermal paste on!!!!111!!!11 (I highly doubt my first computer would have a non stock CPU fan so this probably is a non issue).

So being paranoid is what makes me incapable of building a computer. Not first hand knowledge. Overclocking? That would require some new knowledge lol.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
y0bailey

Post by y0bailey »

A monkey can do it...trust me.

Step 1: Install CPU onto Mobo (do this outside of case...makes it much easier). Thermal paste already applied with stock CPUs..and I think the heatsink is already installed on the bulldozer AMD chips. I also install my mem while everything is outside of the case.

Step 2: Install case back-plate (this comes with your motherboard, you pop it into the case). Install PSU into case. Setup case so that all of the screws you will use to secure your motherboard line up...aka most cases have different holes in them for various mobo layouts...look at your mobo and the holes in it, and make sure the little case holes and the little things that keep the motherboard "floating" off your case floor line up. Screw in motherboard with appropriate screws. This is the trickiest part...and if you just take your time making sure things line up it is cake.

Step 3: Install the stupid little connectors from case to motherboard (power, power LED, reset, etc). Pay attention to + and -...not because if you reverse them you will fry anything, but because I hate having to reconnect and figure these out later. This part is annoying. Connect USB from case to mobo.

Step 3: Connect PSU to motherboard. There are tabs on the connectors that let you know which way is which, and the PSU connectors won't fit in backwards anyways. There is at least 2-3 connectors to mobo, so make sure you have them all. Install GFX card and power to GFX card. Install SSD drive. I typically hold on hooking up my back-up drive until after windows is installed...makes chances of goofing up smaller. Install DVD drive.

Step 4: Power that bitch on. Keep fingers crossed. Get into setup of mobo (DEL) and load optimized defaults. That will get you up and running 99% of the time.

I have never used a grounding band, etc. while building a computer. I have literally spilled water on a motherboard and the damn thing lived. It is harder to murder them than you think.

ALSO: Forgot to add above...make sure you have adequate fans. I typically order enough to fill all spots in the case...or at least one for the intake and one for the exhaust. Some cheaper cases skimp on fans.
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

I'm gonna build a desktop for video editing at some point, once I have enough capital. So this'll be great to check back too then.

Question, would it be preposterous to use an Ionic Breeze as a fan? or would eliminating the dust going in/out actually be helpful?
Or submerged oil cooling? whaa?!
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Ive been extremely rough on computer parts. I usually throw motherboards into a big cardboard box, in piles on top of eachother. The same with ram and video cards. I have never had one not work afterword.

The only time i have ever destroyed electronics is when 1) my ex dumped a glass of OJ into my open-cased computer, and 2) when I was trying to press fit a processor heat sink clip on with a screw driver. My driver slipped, and i ended up scraping several components off the mobo.... resistors went flying. it was pretty funny.

You'll be fine. They take a good amount of abuse anymore.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
y0bailey

Post by y0bailey »

[quote=bigcfk]I'm gonna build a desktop for video editing at some point, once I have enough capital. So this'll be great to check back too then.

Question, would it be preposterous to use an Ionic Breeze as a fan? or would eliminating the dust going in/out actually be helpful?
Or submerged oil cooling? whaa?![/quote]

IONS = death to things electronic. Def not recommended.

There are a lot of people (ok a few) that do oil cooling. So freaking cool. Way too much work.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

I agree on the ion issue. Dont do it.

Oil is awesome for display, and display only. If the oil is organic (vegetable) it will rot, and even if its mineral, it will still get dirty over time, causing a lot more maintenance than one might imagine. Also, good luck swapping out parts easily :p
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

y0's instructions were spot on. I had half his finesse and my HTPC has been rolling along 24/7 for the last 2 years.

Really, as long as you're paying attention, you're fine. It's like when you're woodworking... measure twice, cut once. Before you commit to something, verify you're right, then go for it.

Oh, and if your computer doesn't turn on when it magically should, check to make sure your PSU is in the on position before you begin disassembling various components (including mobo). :-)

Also, re: oil cooling. If I got into that, could my computer make french fries, too?
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Wordburger. Thanks, y0.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=y0bailey]Step 1: Install CPU onto Mobo (do this outside of case...makes it much easier). Thermal paste already applied with stock CPUs..and I think the heatsink is already installed on the bulldozer AMD chips. I also install my mem while everything is outside of the case.[/quote]

I watched the Newegg video on how to build a computer and they suggested building the computer outside the case. It seemed downright idiotic to be honest. Especially with the graphics cards and such. Also providing power to a ungrounded motherboard seemed idiotic and potentially dangerous.

HOWEVER - Putting the CPU and memory into the motherboard before putting it into the case seems pretty smart because the CPU clearly isn't going to EVER flop around once it is secured, and there is almost as little chance the memory is going to flop around (although installing memory is probably the easiest thing being easier than installing a HD or ROM drive).
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

[quote=Jenna]Also, re: oil cooling. If I got into that, could my computer make french fries, too?[/quote]

Why yes, yes it can.

http://junkypc.com/i-deep-fried-my-computer-literally/
^ m_m, summed up.