Mars One - Colonizing Mars

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

plasma2002

Mars One - Colonizing Mars

Post by plasma2002 »

Mars One has a *VERY* ambitious plan to start colonizing Mars by 2023. They are a private company, which plans on funding the bulk of their missions via the public and selling 'footage' in terms of syndicated broadcast, or thats at least how I understand the business plan.

5-10 years ago, this plan would have been written off as completely insane and a bit asinine..... but now that SpaceX has basically showed the world that yes, we CAN do whatever the fuck we want when it comes to going into space, this Mars idea is looking more and more like it can, and will, be pulled off.

What do you guys think?

http://mars-one.com/
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Quirk

Re: Mars One - Colonizing Mars

Post by Quirk »

Why isn't there a kickstarter for this? I don't pay attention to new ventures without a kickstarter page.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Doesn't seem that ambitious at all to me. In fact I would be more surprised if it takes them until 2023 to get a man on Mars.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
ryn

Post by ryn »

There was an AMA on reddit with this guy. He didn't seem to have his shit together to actually make it happen, I didn't read too far into it, but I hope he gets it together and makes it a reality.

I think it's going to be funded by a almost reality show type approach, which honestly isn't half bad an idea. I mean look at the shit on TV that does well now. A real show about a real mission to Mars, then about life on Mars might actually succeed.
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

I think it will be something we need to consider especially with the changes we have done to the earth over the centuries. Mars would be a second place to inhabit and live. Granted, we would have to make it into a planet for us. Many things would have to be blueprinted like food and sustainability. Ultimately, it would be great to artificially create an ecosystem for us to live on mars for our future especially since earth is on a tipping point for our future generations: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 11018.html
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

There should be some type of international (interplanetary?) set of agreed upon-rules that govern the entire planet. Its too late for Earth, as theres too much separation between society, but if we plan on teraforming another rock, there needs to be some rules that keep us from screwing it all up like we have with Earth.

It wouldnt be too hard considering that the rules would be there from the get-go
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=prophet05]I think it will be something we need to consider especially with the changes we have done to the earth over the centuries. Mars would be a second place to inhabit and live. [/quote]

The only thing that scientists would agree "we have done to this planet" is over populate it, and few civilized civilizations would argue there is anything we could do to prevent that issue.

Mars is going to become a "first planet" and Earth a "3rd planet" (playing off 1st and 3rd world countries).
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=PhaseDMA][quote=prophet05]I think it will be something we need to consider especially with the changes we have done to the earth over the centuries. Mars would be a second place to inhabit and live. [/quote]

The only thing that scientists would agree "we have done to this planet" is over populate it, and few civilized civilizations would argue there is anything we could do to prevent that issue.[/quote]

where do you go with that? we've done plenty to this planet: deforestation, methane and CO2 pollution, littering, oil contamination, overfishing... stay tuned for more.

also, care to provide any argumentation as for why it would surprise you if it took us until 2023? i'm guessing the angle from which you adopt this cool attitude is the one that says "humans always find a way," and i dig it, humans are always surprising, but it goes both ways: while we got to the moon in 1969, it's taken us forever to advance past that. there's no right way to predict it, we either will or we won't.

and yeah getting rules in place for mars would be a stellar idea. we could head-off all that slavery trouble early instead of having to go through all that bullshit again. taking the first step to mars could also cause the entire earth to think a little bit more "together," though i could be wrong. my thinking is that we'd no longer act as countries; we'd act as an earth with planetary policies. the same would happen if aliens came, and it would be a good thing. it would cause the whole world to start thinking of the safety of the world as a whole as opposed to the safety of any one country or alliance. that new line of thinking would be a unilateral improvement for long-term human survival.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

As far as why I think we will get to mars? Well the fact we have already been to Mars doesn't hurt... However what NASA did while worth wild and awesome was financially stupid (Just to be clear I would have support this stupidity). Today though private companies can get into space and make a profit. A private company probably could have beat NASA to the moon - However no private company could afford to throw so much money at it... If they did though they would have done it probably for half the cost.

And no - WE DO NOT NEED A MARS PLANTERY COALITION OF RULES AND REGULATIONS. In fact that's the last thing we need. Have you paid any attention to the UN and how much they screw up? How about the European Union? It sounds good on paper, but I've never seen it work on much smaller scales much less the scale of a entire planet.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I think he is referring to racism, gender equality, etc. There would have to be rules about that. I feel like moving to a new planet is in our genes as a species, what is past the unknown? Columbus would have never "discovered"(yes I know he didnt discover it per say) if he didn't have a drive to explore the unknown. Humans want to explore and learn things.

We however would need some sort of "rules and guidelines" to keep things from turning into mass chaos. Prevent a "wild west" type of thing.

Side note, I wonder how things would grow differently on a planet with less gravity. Like a rose bush, would it make bigger flowers because of lower gravity?
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.