Functional Computer

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Functional Computer

Post by PhaseDMA »

So previously I had ordered a motherboard, a PSU, and memory for a brand new computer.

I already had a hard drive, case and of course a mouse and a keyboard.

Today though I finally got the last piece to make the computer bootable - The CPU!

Everything else was already installed into the case so all I had to do was plop the CPU down and attach the fan mount.

This probably sounds pathetic but I had been practicing installing the CPU with a old (probably dead) CPU. I even went as far as to trying to intentionally screw up the placement. With all the "be extremely careful you don't bend a single pin!!111!!!" I was scared to be honest. The reality though was even with a intentionally miss drop there was little if any chance of bending the pins... If I didn't bend pins while being very nonchalant than a person being careful isn't going to bend them.

Anyways. So I misplaced the CPU, and it nearly magically fell into the correct position (as seemed to always happen on my practice drops). The hardest part really was getting the fan mount to attach correctly. I entirely blame the small confines caused by the power supply.

Turned on the computer - Saw the ASUS bios screen... Which caused a huge sigh of relief... I was convinced I killed the motherboard while having a hell of a time getting it into the case... And it started booting Windows Vista to my subtle surprise. I was even more surprised when I encountered a HP first time setup screen. Needles to say it didn't validate (probably because of the lack of a HP motherboard).

Right now I'm formatting it so I can install a OS... May try Ubuntu, but I'm not sure.

Thursday I'll probably buy Windows 7 though.

Anyways. As of this moment I have successfully built my very first computer all by myself. All due credit to Jenna for helping me figure out you need to press the power button though.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
bigcfk

Re: Functional Computer

Post by bigcfk »

:applause: Good job, dude!
And a big :like: for Ubuntu.
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Hooray! I'm a big fan of Ubuntu... in fact, now that I am finished school (AND LICENSED!!) and no longer need Windows, maybe I'll swing back to it.

Did you drop a TV card in? If you go the Windows 7 route, it works splendidly as a DVR if you install a TV card.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

I've been running Ubuntu (Xubuntu actually, it's more lightweight) for about 4 years now. When I sit down at a Windows machine I'm lost, it takes me a moment to figure out what I'm doing.

Highly recommend making the switch to Linux, unless you have a need for Windows.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=Quirk]I've been running Ubuntu (Xubuntu actually, it's more lightweight) for about 4 years now. When I sit down at a Windows machine I'm lost, it takes me a moment to figure out what I'm doing.[/quote]

really? that's interesting; that's how I feel when I sit down at a Mac, but I've always felt that Windows and Linux (especially the Ubuntu dist) are very similar in the way they execute common tasks.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

[quote=Wotcher]really? that's interesting; that's how I feel when I sit down at a Mac, but I've always felt that Windows and Linux (especially the Ubuntu dist) are very similar in the way they execute common tasks.[/quote]

executing common tasks, sure. I have Gnome-do installed, so WIN+SPACE lets me launch just about anything with a couple keystrokes. I've come to rely on that. I'm sure there is a similar application for windows, but I don't care enough to find what it is, download it and install it. apt-get install gnome-do is all I need. done.

No terminal in Windows without installing cygwin. Sure, the command prompt is there, but it isn't the terminal.

Other then the terminal and launching applications, I spend pretty much all of my time in chrome or sublime text (or minecraft on windows, the only reason I boot into windows) so my experience, once started, is pretty much identical.