USB 2.0 over cat5

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Thermite Man

USB 2.0 over cat5

Post by Thermite Man »

Looking for adapters in the $10-20 range. Everything on amazon people complain about only being 1.1 and not working with 2.0, any suggestions?
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
plasma2002

Re: USB 2.0 over cat5

Post by plasma2002 »

time to break out the soldering iron!

there is no physical difference in usb 1.1 and 2.0 cables or devices, but only the support. The problem is that over a certain length, even on cat5, its just not going to be able to support the high speeds of 2.0, and the chipsets fall back to 1.1..... this is why you rarely see usb cables over ~15 feet long

I havent looked at the adapters, but i would assume they already do this, but if you make your own, be sure to tie the DATA + and DATA - usb pins (the two INSET pins in the usb plug) to a pair of cat5 wires that are twisted together (eg ORANGE and ORANGE/WHITE)

Putting the data on a twisted pair will keep the attenuation to a minimum over greater distances.

TL;DR - It costs people too much money to get things certified for USB 2.0, since its very hard to *reliably* do over non-standard mediums, so they just slap USB 1.1 on it. If you get a 1.1, i would put money on it that it would switch to 2.0 speeds IF THE CABLE ISNT TOO LONG
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Thermite Man

Re: USB 2.0 over cat5

Post by Thermite Man »

I was wondering if it was just a extension. If that is the case I will just make my own. I need to go like 30ft.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.