W00t - I made the "What's Hot" list on Google+

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

W00t - I made the "What's Hot" list on Google+

Post by PhaseDMA »

W00t - I made the "What's Hot" list on Google+.

Everyone here should help feed into my ego by sharing it some more. Currently it's the 7th most popular post on Google+.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11432488783 ... nWcryww9GA
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Wotcher

Re: W00t - I made the "What's Hot" list on Google+

Post by Wotcher »

hey anth hey anth were you aware that your grammar's poor? huh? were ya?

real talk tho, if you learn one single grammatical nuance from me, please learn "then" vs. "than"

"then": rhymes with "when," which is also a conjunction and abides by similar rules. "I'll do it, then he'll come." "I'll do it when he comes." (only catch is the comma use) A good trick to remember is that "then" will be either precede or be preceded by a comma 80% of the time. Another good trick is to remember the concept of "if/then statements."

"than": A lot less complicated to remember than the word "then". I'm fairly sure the *only* appropriate use of "than" is alongside a comparative adjective (better, worse, more, less, higher, more human, less intoxicated)

tl;dr: if you don't see any comparative adjective immediately preceding, then you should use "then"!
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Its a lot easier to remember "thEn is for timE, and thAn is for compAring"
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=plasma2002 post_id=24643]Its a lot easier to remember "thEn is for timE, and thAn is for compAring"[/quote]

yeah i included both of those memory techniques in my post but didn't state it as simply because that technique doesn't account for using "then" as a quick version of "thus/therefore," as well as for "next," (e.g. "then, go to your start menu...")

also congrats phase
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

ITT: Gramer Natzis.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote="Thermite Man" post_id=24650]ITT: Gramer Natzis.[/quote]

naw, a grammar nazi is someone who does shit like what we all saw in that G+ thread. what i just did was education, or at least i hope so.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

I'm not trying to ignore it at this point. I honestly think at this point it's a minor learning disability, because even when I try to address it I still screw up (believe it or not I dance around the word "then" and "than" every time I use one or the other).

I do think I'm getting better with "a" and "an". I also think for the most part I have "to" and "too" figured out.

When I say I don't care anymore it really has more to do with frustration ?than? actually not caring.

I had a good feeling about this going viral and obviously I don't enjoy looking like a moron to the 255 people who have shared it directly, only who knows how many private shares, and only who knows how many total views of all those posts.

Honestly though I think understanding is more important than presentation, and I think I'm pretty good at getting people to understand the information I present to them.

At the same time I'm not a big fan of the grammar nazi because they tend to just be jerks instead of actually trying to inform (I don't think you were trying to be a jerk).
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

I'm horrible with then/than and didn't even realize it until recently.

I got business cards printed. They said "Cooler then Caps Lock". It was when I got them that I realized.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Wait. Phase, you made that video?