Computer Upgrades

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Computer Upgrades

Post by PhaseDMA »

So I want to upgrade my motherboard in the next 6 months, but I don't want to upgrade my processor (or really anything else) at this point. The problem is I went really cheap on the motherboard, and while it certainly gets the job done I'm have some expansion problems (down the road).

First of all a PCI slot is blocked by the video card. Another one is occupied by the wireless card. The Express slot is fine, but do I really want a card sitting right of top of my video card?

I also have massive USB problems. I'm using a 5 port hub and it makes my devices freak out. Only certain things can be plugged into it (mostly a unpowered USB hub issue I'm sure). Oh and it has no USB 3.0 header, which would solve a lot of problems - Or at least 2 of them.

This is the motherboard I have currently - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131733

I would like to be able to use this processor (I have now), but not be limited in the future (is that possible?) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNKWO/?tag=pcpapi-20

Also - As of right now I really want to get a bluetooth adapter. What is the best course for this?

Ideas?

I'm thinking about buying a new case and starting to throw the "old" parts from this computer into that one. In maybe 2-4 years I would have a fully functional backup computer. But that's very much not of any priority.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Re: Computer Upgrades

Post by plasma2002 »

If you have $110 to spend on a mobo, heres the highest rated one on newegg for your current processor - and yes, you can upgrade your processor later, as long as it is socket AM3

If will give you an additional PCI slot than you have now, still has USB3, doubles your maximum RAM to 32gb, and gives you an SPDIF output in case you have (or will have) an optical audio system to use with it. You will have 4 additional USB ports on the rear, so that may help a bit with the USB issues youre having.

What you will LOSE is your onboard video... but you seem to like your video card anyways, so that may not be much of an issue. (I use my vid card for main stuff like games and 3d rendering, and have my onboard video handle my secondary monitor for desktop apps). You will also lose your firewire port, but who uses those anyways. Another important thing that you will be losing is your PATA connector. I got hit with this problem last week when I built a new comp. PATA is old, and it's going away very fast (as it should), but just be aware that this mobo is only going to support SATA drives, unless you go get a PATA PCI card, like this $15 one

One thing to remember that most people never think about... if you are going to be removing your processor and putting it somewhere else, you are going to want to reapply your thermal paste. Heres some for $2. Wipe off any old paste before putting on the new paste.

As for a bluetooth adapter - there are hundreds to choose from and can be found in all price ranges. The different between the $5 one and the $50 one is compatibility. I bought a couple of the $5 ones thinking it would be a quick way to get bluetooth on my computer. Turns out, the computer DID recognize it, but it only supported the older, classic bluetooth profiles, like file transfer, phonebook sync, etc... I couldnt do nice things like stream audio or even use a USB keyboard. It was just junk.

You dont need to spend $50 on a nice one though. A good rule of thumb right now is about $15-20 on one. Make sure it is at least BT 4.0 compatible. 4.0 is the "Low Energy" version (LE), which is what everything is going towards anymore. And yes, theyre backwards compatible.
Heres one that would work fine, but do feel free to browse around looking through them all.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

It actually has one less PCI slot. Although on my current motherboard one is blocked so it puts me in the same position. Everything else is a plus.

Good heads up on the thermal paste. Without question something I would have skipped.

As far as the bluetooth - Does external USB vs. external card matter? Should the choice be made simply based on space/port constraints (where all specs are otherwise the same)? Obviously the USB would slightly relieve the PCI number issue.

Thanks Brian.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

For all intents and purposes, an internal bluetooth card will do you no better than a USB bluetooth adapter. Theoretically, the pci card could handle higher transfer rates and such, but the bottleneck is actually in the bluetooth profile, which usb 2.0 can easily handle.

A usb bluetooth adapter will give everything you need.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Also, if you want to free up one of your PCI slots, even on your current rig, you may want to look at using an external wireless adapter, instead of your internal one.

Wireless USB adapters have come a long way, and can easily get you the high speed wireless connection you want... and their mobility means you can move it around to get better antenna placement than you can with an internal card.

If you want to shop around for a usb wireless adapter, just make sure it supports at least 802.11n

This one, for $15, is perfect.

EDIT: well... ok, maybe not on your current rig, since you say youre having some bad USB problems
^ m_m, summed up.
askmeques

Post by askmeques »

[quote]For all intents and purposes[/quote]

Did you just learn it was this instead of "intensive purposes" and need a place to use it or something? Haha.

Also,

[quote]their mobility means you can move it around to get better antenna placement than you can with an internal card[/quote]

I have a PCI wireless card with a wired antenna. Best of both worlds if you aren't happy with the USB situation.
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

You can still move the USB more than you can a PCI card. Obviously you can move it to any USB port including the front, but also you can just get a USB cord and move it 20 feet from the computer if you so wish.