Middleman Just Stopped Working!

Please submit any bugs that you find here. Make sure the bug has not already been submitted by reviewing the 'Known Issues' forum above.

Moderator: Moderators

Twan

Middleman Just Stopped Working!

Post by Twan »

I don't know what happened, but middleman isn't working on my system anymore. I'm using the version of AIM from the site, I tried re-installing both, I'm on Windows XP SP2, and I'm also very frustrated!

AIM sucks without middleman.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

What version of middle_man are you using/ And what do you mean it's not working? can you give us any more detail

Make sure you are using the AIM from the site and middle_man 3 (not 2)... Try uninstalling middle_man, then AIM, then reinstalling AIM and then middle_man.
Twan

Post by Twan »

I did all that. I'm using the versions from the site and everything.

Maybe something happened in the registry?
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

explain "just stopped working"

does it show in AIM's menu?
Twan

Post by Twan »

Basically, its as if middleman isn't installed anymore. It's not showing up or anything.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

have you modified your aim resource files?

are you using any other programs?
Twan

Post by Twan »

[quote=Quirk]have you modified your aim resource files?

are you using any other programs?[/quote]

Maybe something happened to my system. I really haven't done anything that would cause this though. I'm not using any other programs, and I don't really know the technical side of AIM too well. Maybe something did happen, but I would have no idea.
Maria2

Post by Maria2 »

I am having the same exact problem. I didn't even realize my middle man stopped working, but it happened around june 10th or so. (That's when my logs stopped)
It's acting as if middle man isn't installed at all, there is no "middle man" under "My Aim."

I uninstalled both programs and re-installed them (from the download page).
What could be happening?

I'm using WindowsXP. I always install the security updates and stuff from microsoft. I have McAfee VirusScan on always.
I didn't change anything in the aim preferences or resources.

Thanks for any help.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

what order are you uninstalling?

uninstall m_m, then AIM.

install AIM first, then m_m.

restarting windows between the uninstalls and installs might help. also, after uninstalling, check the locations where you installed to. (ie, c:\program files\AIM) if the folder is still there, remove it. do the same with the m_m folder.

uninstall m_m -> uninstall aim -> powercycle -> install aim -> install m_m

other than that, i'm not sure. I've never had the problem so i'm not sure how to go about fixing it.
Maria2

Post by Maria2 »

Thanks for all your help!

I did everything you said and it still didn't work.

I decided to install the older version of m_m and that got it working again. I guess my firewall thought the new version was a virus or something.

Thanks again. Yay for middle_man!