Google Chrome CR-48

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Google Chrome CR-48

Post by PhaseDMA »

So about a week ago (give or take a couple days) I signed up to try and get a CR-48.

Sadly Monday came and went, and I had given up on getting it based on the time frame of other people signing up for it and receiving it.

Well just a little while ago a UPS truck came to the door. You know how that goes on Dec 15th... Packages coming from ever which way. My mom got a package which wasn't at all shocking but I also got a package. However I also got a package. This was shocking.

Here is the thing. I don't do Christmas gifts. It isn't that I'm Scrooge. I just find it easier and more rewarding to give surprise gifts throughout the year. Anyways... So I look at the address in massive hope... Um... It wasn't Google, and it was no company name... In fact it shipped from Kentucky.

I still had high hopes. I mean like I said I don't order gifts for Christmas, and in fact I had not ordered anything for myself. Problem is the box was a bit heavier then I would have expected. More so I didn't want to open a box hoping for a computer and get something highly trivial.

I opened it... The damn box inside was upside down. For crying out loud! I turned it over, and there it was! The unique box design that could only belong to a CR-48!!!!! There was no question anymore! So what do I do?

I set down the box (still closed) and run up to tell Matt and anyone else on IRC that I got a early Christmas present from Google. Trust me. I wanted to open the computer, but my good fortune had to be told to anyone that was within ear shot.

Here is the bottom line. I have never won anything of true value in my entire life. In fact I was complaining to a bunch of co-workers that I have never won anything at work - You know... Those kind of contests where if you have worked for the company for a few years you should have won at least once (6 years and counting)? Anyways....

So how did I win it? Well I filled out the survey, and while I can't remember what exactly I put into the "Why we should give you one" box it was something along the lines of: I love Google products, and had a Motorola Droid which only got replaced by the EVO 4G. I would love to continue to be in the Google ecosystem.

-----------------

So you know what? This computer is in awesome! It boots in 8 seconds (where these 15 seconds boots are coming from I have no idea). It come back from standby before you can fully open the lid. The mouse pad? It needs some love, but the concepts are solid. Hopefully a driver will fix it. Of course this computer isn't supposed to be about the hardware. It's suppose to be about the software.

When I logged in it synced with my laptop without any help. I actually think I like the placement of the system time/icons better on the top. It's just easier to see there. The resolution is insane for the screen size. Off hand I'm pretty sure it is the same as my 17 inch laptop.

Without getting into hardware there isn't much more to say about the computer, so I will continue about the hardware.

Here is the thing. Never in my life have I owned a laptop that wants to portray its self as a lightweight, so I don't have anything to compare this to in that regard. With that said this thing is LIGHT! I'm pretty sure if it fell off a table it would float to the ground.

The keyboard is interesting. Clearly Google wanted to give as much as possible while having to deal with a tiny area to put keys. As you may know the function keys (F1-F12) have been replaced by Chrome OS keys. Mostly browser keys. Some system keys (like multiple screens and brightness and sound). The insert/page down/end keys etc have been removed. The last issue is it doesn't have a backlight. Okay. I saw that on TechCrunch or Engadget. You know what though? While I "need" a backlight that feature is a luxury item on I'm pretty sure every laptop. You can't complain about it on a computer like this. Period.

It has a search key, which replaces the caps lock. Some people say that it isn't even a search key. Some people are out of touch. The fact is what the key does is open a new tab. The other fact is you can search from the address bar - So yes... It is a search key... That doubles a new tab key.

The mouse pad.... :sigh: Here is the thing. You can't knock it. As I figure it Google couldn't have spend less then $200 on this machine, and at a $200 loss there are bound to be some sticking points. The mouse pad is a sticking point. It moves in the most strange ways at times. It sucks at right clicking (which involves using two fingers on either side of the pad at the same time). However there are good things about it. Like the multi touch. I do however find myself moving around the page when I don't want to. Lets be fair though. The mouse pad has issues. The fair part though is that I have ALL mouse pads on laptops. I have yet to find a exception.

I don't know what is running under this machine, and frankly I don't care. It has never been about what a computer's CPU/RAM is for me. It has always been about it being able to do what I throw at in 300 days of the year.

Last thing... Flash needs some loving. Why? I don't know. Adobe says they are on the case though. I'm sure the problem is Adobe thought Apple had a hand in making this computer. Either way I'm sure Google and Adobe will work together to get this fixed ASAP - Something I'm not sure is even possible between Apple and... Anyone...

If there is anything else worth talking about I'll post it later.

Meanwhile... Thank you Google. Not only have you given me my first major prize (although I hate to compare whatever this is to a contest/giveaway) you have also managed to give me my new computer that I didn't have to buy on my own. People have said I'm a Google fanboy. I'm not. I just appreciate good products - Especially when those products work together as great as Google products do.

"Google, don't stop, you the bestest"
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Matt

Re: Google Chrome CR-48

Post by Matt »

[quote=PhaseDMA]I set down the box (still closed) and run up to tell Matt and anyone else on IRC that I got a early Christmas present from Google.[/quote]Win.
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

*insert jealousy here*
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker/

There's one coming to my town tomorrow.... cross your fingers!
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Wow!

According to that site Rochester got more CR-48s then the rest of the state combined! It's good to live in Rochester. (Based on a search for Buffalo, Syracuse, NYC, Utica, and Watertown only having a total of 16 computers to Rochester's 33)
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Siiiiick

Post by Siiiiick »

Is this the chrome notebook? did you sign up by clicking the link provided when you open chrome? If so, I never saw a field that asks why you should get one? I just signed up a couple days ago...
askmeques

Post by askmeques »

I just submitted an application, lol.

Also, it says one is coming to Riverside.

Anth - did they contact you before you received it in the mail? The application said you would be contacted if you were chosen.
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

One was delivered to my city (Galloway) yesterday... but doesn't appear to be mine.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=askmeques]I just submitted an application, lol.

Anth - did they contact you before you received it in the mail? The application said you would be contacted if you were chosen.[/quote]

As far as I can tell *no one is being contacted at all*.

Also the application seems to have become more advanced since when I signed up. I guess you all have a chance though still... Only 10k of a reported 60-70k have been shipped.
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

[quote=askmeques]I just submitted an application, lol.

Anth - did they contact you before you received it in the mail? The application said you would be contacted if you were chosen.[/quote]

I hope it's mine!!! I signed up on day 1. Hopefully all of us get one. I wonder how many they're giving out.
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]