Domain Hosting / I got a tough to get domain

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Domain Hosting / I got a tough to get domain

Post by PhaseDMA »

Okay its that time of year again. Time for a thread that gets created 2-4 times a year. Not because people don't search or don't care, but because the information is always changing.

This time it is.... Where should I get web hosting from?

Not many requirements. To be honest right now I have free hosting through 125mb, and that's fine.

The real problem is it only supports one domain and I currently have three. I'm sure I could just create 3 accounts there and be fine, but I at this point I want real web hosting. But I want it to be cheap.

Why do I want it to be cheap? Because I know decent cheap hosting exists. Once a time I paid like $9 a year for great hosting. 8 years later and I'm paying more for crappy hosting? If that isn't BS I don't know what is.

BTW. The reason that this was spurred? I just got Clauser.com

At one point it belonged to a doctor with the last name Clauser. That was fine but I wanted the domain. Then it ended up in the hands of some crappy ad company and that wasn't okay. Like two years ago the domain sold for $500 at auction (only about $490 more the domain is worth, but who is counting?). Well at that point I got pissed and signed up for a backorder through GoDaddy... For anyone that doesn't know you pay pretty much double what the 1 year domain pricing is worth, and the moment the domain becomes free GoDaddy snatches it up like a thug and hands it over to you. Not half bad for $18.99. To be honest I never thought I would get the domain. I mean I don't think the domain has ever been unregistered since like 1999 or something absurd like that, so the 2 year turn around was quite nice!

Happy New Year to me!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thermite Man

Re: Domain Hosting / I got a tough to get domain

Post by Thermite Man »

I remember this, I still use 1and1.com Have had no problems, even when I was short money they were easy to work with.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I use dreamhost. I like them because of ssh access.
A friend (that I respect and trust) recommended site5 to me recently.
I also hear bluehost is good, but I have not had any first hand experience with them.

I honestly think most companies are about the same. Choose one with a backend you are familiar with (i.e. cpanel).
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

I work for IX Web Hosting (http://ixwebhosting.com) and Host Excellence (http://hostexcellence.com)

I can't really get you a discount, but even our cheapest linux plan ($4.95/month if an Annual cycle, $3.95/month if biennial) will support as many domains as you can throw at it. With the lowest plan you get 2 dedicated IPs.

If you sign up, go to the main IX page, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look for the "secret link" link (it actually says the words secret link) and you can get 20% off your first cycle.

You can also request to have me as your personal assistant, so that I will be your point of contact for any issues.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

I actually went with BlueHost.com
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

Quirk, which of those would you suggest?
The group I started has a domain, badger.tv, and we've yet to build a website for it. To be honest, I know very little about building a website, but I do know we'd need hosting. Is there a discernable difference between the two?

And Phase, why Bluehost?
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=bigcfk]And Phase, why Bluehost?[/quote]

Because it was the first and most reasonably priced host I found with cPanel.

I've quickly learned to hate all other back-ends. Especially host specific ones (like dreamhost's).
Matt

Post by Matt »

[quote=PhaseDMA][quote=bigcfk]And Phase, why Bluehost?[/quote]

Because it was the first and most reasonably priced host I found with cPanel.

I've quickly learned to hate all other back-ends. Especially host specific ones (like dreamhost's).[/quote]I'd argue that once you figure out how to use other backends, it is alright. It's the learning curve that gets you every time.

For example - if I only knew of dreamhost or 1and1's backend and then went to cpanel, I would probably hate it because I couldn't find something.
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Ya. But cPanel frankly is the best.

Most sites don't use it because it is cheap. They use it because it is the best. End of story.

The sites that don't use it do so because either it is far to expensive for them, or they want their own solution.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

We use HSphere here, and while it is just as functional as cPanel, it leaves a lot to be desired. Back when this company started cPanel wasn't as popular as it is today. After several years with a certain structure it is very hard to migrate to a different control panel.

I consider cPanel the unofficial industry standard and we do offer it on our VPS plans.