CES - Tablets

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

CES - Tablets

Post by PhaseDMA »

So my big thing going into CES was hoping that there would be 1 or 2 killer tablets. The scary thing is that half the tablets being covered by Engadget seem like killer devices.

The tablet that has my eye the most right now is the one from Vizio. A tablet with great specs from a company know for cheap, but high quality TVs? Where do I sign up.

Then of course there is the Motorola Xoom.

There are a few others that I have not paid any attention to - I'm pretty much going to wait for the dust to settle for the other non major manufactures.

Oh and don't forget the HTC Scribe which is rumored to be unveiled at MWC in Feb.

Oh... And the CR-48 has changed my mind about how well Android would operate compared to Windows 7 on a tablet.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Re: CES - Tablets

Post by plasma2002 »

Im looking for something to replace my laptop AND my phone.... ya think this is the year that a feasible solution will come out?

(I can never keep up with the posts when CES rolls in... it gets too chaotic)
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

Tablets sales are going to explode in the the next few months (the next year at the longest).

I'll probably end up getting one of the cheapest one's, which will probably actually be Vizio's, because I imagine they will all be pretty much similar.

I'm sort of leaning away from a tablet running Android and favoring those with Win7. Phase, can you elaborate on your last sentence?
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=cokalsM]I'm sort of leaning away from a tablet running Android and favoring those with Win7. Phase, can you elaborate on your last sentence?[/quote]

The CR-48 has shown me that my life doesn't live on the computer as I thought it did. It lives on the internet.

What can you do on a computer that you can't do on the internet? Play large (GB) games is pretty much the answer. Even things that are lacking (like photo editing) will in the next few years have web based solutions that will rival non internet based programs. Who would have thought even 5 years ago that someone would offer a internet based program that could replace your productivity suit (word processors and such)?

Beyond all that Android as a very basic rule of thumb takes up much less power doing the same things as Windows. This isn't a issue even so much with a laptop, but tablets are expected to last 8-10, or even more hours. A tablet isn't about going from one place to another and plugging in, and then moving on 4 hours later. It is about charging it at night, and potentially using it the entire day with out recharging. I'm not dissing Windows 7, but the reality is it's not made for tablets.

The other issue was not having enough apps to fill in those gaps, but iOS has enough apps to do that job, and I fully expect Android to not only catch up to iOS's app count but surpass it sooner rather then later.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||