This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

plasma2002

My Cr-48 [You knew i was going to get one]

Post by plasma2002 »

:D

Language is a little NSFW, but I couldnt help it... i was too excited, haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab3fmHaj8CE

Anthony, Matt, how are you guys liking yours? Its been a while since ya got them...

By the way, I was looking for an excuse to set up another Wordpress blog, and this just finally gave me that reason, so Ill be posting my thoughts about the laptop on here, if anyones interested:

http://www.plasma2002.com/blog/
Last edited by plasma2002 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Matt

Re: My Cr-48 [You knew i was going to get one]

Post by Matt »

I don't have one. But you aren't referring to me...
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

:likesthis:

I was grinning like a freakin' idiot during your entire video. Maybe there's still hope for me, you guys!!
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

[quote=Matt]I don't have one. But you aren't referring to me...[/quote]
I think he meant me, Matt E. (The other other Matt in here lol).
[quote=plasma2002]
Anthony, Matt, how are you guys liking yours? Its been a while since ya got them...
[/quote]
I'm still loving mine. It's my daily driver so much that I installed Ubuntu on my netbook and threw it in the corner as a mini server.

I have a tough time without Microsoft Word at times when writing papers. On Windows, I tend to have a journal source open on the left half of the screen while my paper in on the right, which I can't do with ChromeOS. There are some other minor features that I use from MS Word I wish I had access to. MS Office Live sucks as an alternative to desktop Office, but I'm satisfied with Google Docs as a cloud alternative when on the go writing the base to my paper.

I never get any crashes, but plugins do crash, specifically Flash! May be just me, but I seem to get Flash crashes here and there, I'd say about once to twice a day. I have some other very minor flash issues, but they should be fixed soon.

I'm also in developer mode and mounted the system to be writable. The linux back-end is extremely bare bones. There's no text editor to edit files with, but it does have SSH :like:

Um...that's all the stuff from the top of my head about any problems I have with it. But besides those minor things, I love it. Like I said, it's my daily driver and I wouldn't use it if I didn't like it.
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]
Matt

Post by Matt »

[quote=prophet05][quote=Matt]I don't have one. But you aren't referring to me...[/quote]
I think he meant me, Matt E. (The other other Matt in here lol). [/quote] I know, which is why I said what I said :P

[quote=prophet05]I'm also in developer mode and mounted the system to be writable. The linux back-end is extremely bare bones. There's no text editor to edit files with, but it does have SSH :like:[/quote] Not even vi? I would not last without an editor. Can you install one?
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

The kind of emotion that the CR-48 provokes from people is A-E-S-O-M-E!

The CR-48 is *not* my primary computer by any stretch. The fact I have a high powered 4.3 inch Android device only serves to make it even less so. However when I go somewhere what I expect to be sitting around for any amount of time I bring my CR-48 without question. Personally I can justify bringing my CR-48 to places (like my Aunt's) where I can't justify brining my 17" laptop.

Pretty much the CR-48 does everything that I do on my Dell. It simply put gets used when I want to use a computer somewhere other then my desk - Which frequently includes on my bed which is inches away from my desk.

The battery life is absurd so I can just lay it down and not use it for days, and know all I have to do is pop up the lid 5 days after not using it, and I'm 3 seconds away from doing my thing on it.

Could I replace my Dell with the CR-48? If I had to, but I still love my Dell. And when I say "my Dell" I mean my Dell with all the bells and whistles - Like the back-lit keyboard... Which after not having one for 23 years I thought was a convenience... Then I got it, and forgot what it was like not having one... Saw people complain that the CR-48 doesn't have a back-lit keyboard and thought they were anti-Google jerks... Well they still were mostly anti-Google jerks, but the back-lit keyboard does make things so much easier... Especially when you have had one on your primary computer.

I wouldn't give away my CR-48 for $900 - That's not a joke. I'm dead serious. So you tell me how much I like my CR-48.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Matt

Post by Matt »

Does anyone know why its called CR-48?

EDIT: Answer - Tuesday, December 7, 2010 Google held an event announcing the Cr-48 the first Chrome OS running computer. Cr-48 is the 48th isotope of Chromium on the periodic table hence the name that Google gave it. “Cr” meaning Chromium and “48″ meaning the 48th isotope.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

When did you fill out your App. I want! I want!
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

There are ways to install Vim with an Arch package, but I realized I have no need for any of that stuff. Also, Google is working on remote desktop with ChromeOS.

For those that don't know:
about:flags <---Activate experimental features.
about:plugins <----Just regular plugin stuff.
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

[quote=prophet05]The linux back-end is extremely bare bones. There's no text editor to edit files with, but it does have SSH :like: [/quote]

Actually, I found out that there IS a text editor on here! :)

qemacs, a derivitive of emacs is built in. I didnt know the commands to make it work off the top of my head, so I just basically launched it, viewed a file, and closed it. I would prefer nano or vim, but I figure if i need an emergency editor, i can look up the command reference and use qemacs.

[quote=Portfolioso]When did you fill out your App. I want! I want![/quote]

I filled mine out the same day it was announced... around the beginning of December some time. So yeah, it took 2 months to get to me. Im still not sure how they are selecting people. Everyone keeps asking me what I signed up as, and it was a developer.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.