Radiohead - King of Limbs

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Wotcher

Radiohead - King of Limbs

Post by Wotcher »

anyone here like Radiohead a lot? i don't want to say they're my favorite band because that would categorize me as a Radiohead Hipster Junkie but i don't think i like any collection of albums better than Radiohead's.

anyway, whoever has heard the new album already (it dropped today), please discuss it with me :o
Portfolioso

Re: Radiohead - King of Limbs

Post by Portfolioso »

I don't get radiohead. It's completely electronic and weird as hell. No idea how it's categorized as a band.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I heard their "single", if that exists, on the radio this morning. Shortly after it started I got bored and switched it to AM talk radio.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=Portfolioso]I don't get radiohead. It's completely electronic and weird as hell. No idea how it's categorized as a band.[/quote]

that statement is as emotionally charged as the statement, "i don't get computers. they never do what I tell them to! they have a mind of their own and they're completely impossible to understand. no idea how they're categorized as useful." I understand your viewpoint, but that was a poor choice of words, Port.

it's just a matter of perspective; you seem to have heard a lot of radiohead's later stuff. these days, yes, a lot of their music is sprawling, echoey, and heavily electronic. I am extremely interested in electronic music, and I am always surprised to learn that there are people who do not like it. i'm not going to say "you probably WILL like radiohead; you just haven't TRIED hard enough." I don't even really care if someone doesn't like radiohead, because I know exactly what gets me off about radiohead. I'm only suggesting that perhaps you have heard examples of songs that aren't up your alley.

radiohead has an extremely wide range of music, from straight-up alternative rock (album: The Bends) to electronic-infused rock with kickass guitar lines (OK Computer), to crazy-ass driving synth lines that interact with the guitar and drums and lyrics in a way that will blow your headphoned ears off your head (Hail to the Thief), to sprawling ambientesque landscapes with cut-up drum work and a general slower pace of action (King of Limbs; Kid A; Amnesiac)

if you want to give radiohead a serious shot, listen to The Bends and OK Computer; from there, move on to Hail To The Thief. if you don't like that stuff, then you are not interested in the kind of music that radiohead makes.

radiohead is not your average, boring band. if you are interested in average, boring music, you will not like radiohead.

also, thermite: does Lotus Flower ring a bell? i believe that's the "single." anyway, yeah sure, i guess their music isn't for everyone, if that's the point you were trying to make... I'm not sure what kind of music any of you guys listen to.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

Yeah I'm not ripping on Radiohead. I liked their older stuff on OK Computer and the Bends.

Yes, I get musical styles adapt and change over time.