Ubuntu Help

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Jenna

Ubuntu Help

Post by Jenna »

I've been slowly building an HTPC with Ubuntu/Myth TV in my spare time. I finally seem to have most of the kinks worked out, except for one. Sound seems to work (through HDMI) from everything except Firefox/Chrome. MythTV works, recordings/videos/music work... hell, even solitaire has sound, but I can't get anything from Hulu, YouTube, etc.

I've been googling solutions, but nothing has worked yet. Anyone have any brilliant ideas or insight?

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.
Motherboard (HDMI): http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51 ... ?div=Basic
MythTV 0.23
Matt

Re: Ubuntu Help

Post by Matt »

Are you using alsamixer?

If I were you, I would do the following things...
1. Search ubuntuforums.org
2. Ask the folks on #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net
3. Post on ubuntuforums.org
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

[quote=Jenna]..., but I can't get anything from Hulu, YouTube, etc.
[/quote]

So pretty much Flash sound is broken? Try reinstalling Flash 10.2, I think it's beta but may fix the problem.
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

I've been all over the ubuntu forums, Matt.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating Flash every which way I can come up with. I've updated the alsa to the latest version. I modified a bunch of random sound files. Downloaded new mixers/choosers. Tried Hulu Desktop and Chrome, just in case. I'm afraid I'm going to murder myth if I screw around too much more.

Also, for some strange reason my sound preferences no longer say sound is going through HDMI (now analogue), yet the sound is clearly being played through HDMI.

Yargh. That's all I have to say about that.
prophet05

Post by prophet05 »

I'm sort of stumped with Chrome not working. :(

Hm...try this additional dependency: sudo aptitude install alsa-oss libesd-alsa0 (or apt-get install, whichever you prefer).
[imagine a sig that's better than everyone else's here]
ryn

Post by ryn »

I had this problem for a while,I switched to kubuntu and I don't have the problem anymore. But Im pretty sure that the flash audio was playing via the analog audio output. I found one of the mixers (not sure what it was, alsa or pulse I assume) could show where each audio source was outputting to and I just set it to ie958 or whatever hdmi was. It would reset the setting every restart though.