Thank you notes...

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

ryn

Thank you notes...

Post by ryn »

For our wedding we had a website set up where people could purchase us parts of our honeymoon. We were going to Seattle and Vancouver, but due to some unforeseen circumstances we had to change at the last minute and ended up on a Cruise.

How should I go about writing thank you notes to the people who purchased from our honeymoon site?

A little preface: I set up a modified CubeCart store for the purpose. The money just went to a new paypal account, and we used their Debit card for all honeymoon purchases, so we didn't go through one of the commercial websites dedicated to that sort of thing (Guess that would have been nice as plans probably wouldn't have fallen through that way). I didn't really know how to handle it when plans fell through and felt kind of bad that some people researched good things for us to do in Vancouver, but everyone I talked to about it said just find a new Honeymoon and let them know afterwards.

Also what are the must do's and do not's in thank you notes? Ours are only postcards so space is fairly limited. My wife didn't like the idea of just writing "thank you for the money, we used it to act like modern day pirates, see you at the next wedding!"
askmeques

Re: Thank you notes...

Post by askmeques »

CopyPasta:

Ten Do’s and Don’ts of Thank You Notes
Do personalize your notes and make reference to the person as well as the gift.
Do remember that a gift should be acknowledged with the same courtesy and generous spirit in which it was given.
Do be enthusiastic, but don’t gush. Avoid saying a gift is the most beautiful thing you have ever seen unless you really mean it.
Don’t send form letters or cards with printed messages and just your signature; don’t use email or post a generic thank you on your wedding web site in lieu of a personal note.
Do promptly acknowledge the receipt of shipped gifts by sending a note right away or calling and following up with a written note in a day or two.
Don’t mention that you plan to return a gift or that you are dissatisfied in any way.
Don’t tailor your note to the perceived value of the gift; no one should receive a perfunctory note.
Do refer to the way you will use a gift of money. Mentioning the amount is optional.
Don’t include wedding photos or use photo cards if it will delay sending the note.
Don’t use being late as an excuse not to write. Even if you are still sending notes after your first anniversary, keep writing!

I would try to pick one or two things that you did on your honeymoon that are roughly the amount of what the gift amount they gave you was, and mention it on the card. For example, "Thank you so much for your generous gift, which we used to stuff ourselves at the buffet!" or "Thanks so much for allowing us to go on _________ excursion at our destination". If you want to preface the thank you note saying something to the effect of "Thank you for helping us celebrate our special day and for your generous honeymoon gift. Unfortunately, we had to change plans and went on a cruise to _____ instead, but your gift was still put to great use"....or something to that effect - I think that sounds good too.
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle