Black History Month

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

bigcfk

Black History Month

Post by bigcfk »

The last day of Black History Month. How did you celebrate? OR how did you ignore the 'historical designation' of this month?
I made it through the whole month without giving much care to whatever its designated for. But now that its the last day, I'm celebrating—my birthday. :=D

Honestly, I consider this forum/group some external sect of friends I have, even though I've never met any of you in person. If you'll celebrate my birthday today with me: how do you sense 'bigcfk'?

(ill apologize for [and maybe regret this post] some other time haha)
PhaseDMA

Re: Black History Month

Post by PhaseDMA »

At the risk of coming off as a complete jerk. Ah forget it... I always come off as a complete jerk.

Black History Month is the most useless month long awareness thing ever. No... Scratch that. All month long awareness things are the most useless things ever. Unless you are going to school, or your part of that "special" group no one cares, and if your part of one of those two things you may still not care.

That's the other thing. Black History Month is supposed to be something "special". There is a fundamental issue there. Contrary to popular belief among both blacks and whites, blacks are not special. Just like whites are not special. Until people get that through their thick skulls, and stop looking at blacks as different... Guess what... They will be treated different. Stop requiring that 10% of a college be black. That doesn't provide a service to the blacks. That provides a disservice, because when the blacks get into the schools that shouldn't... They are going to fall flat on their faces, and it becomes a embarrassment for everyone. Are there blacks that get skipped over? Damn straight. Are there even more deserving whites that get skipped over because they are not "special" based on the color of their skin? Damn straight.

Give everyone legitimate equal rights and be done with it for crying out loud. Unless someone is purple no one is special because of the color of their skin. And lets be honest. If you were a big talking dinosaur you would be special too.

And you know what? What the hell is with having Black History Month in the same month as President's Day? Isn't it generally accepted that President's are white elitist? It's not like anyone past the first year celebrated anything Obama did after all.

And it's not just Black History Month. It's Asian History Month, Latino History Month, and all the other BS History Months. I wonder how many people know about those months other then people going to school, and that are part of said group.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Matt

Post by Matt »

Pointing out the obvious - Black History Month is in the month with the least amount of days. Just sayin'

Besides that. I really don't get any kind of propaganda regarding black history month now that I'm not in grade school. Granted, I don't watch daily talk shows, so maybe I'm missing something big. I haven't had to deal with BHM for 7 yrs now, and so I can't really comment on it anymore. Perhaps I'm naive - I mean, I live in Atlanta - home of MLK and all that. So I am sure I'm missing a lot of stuff. But it's not that big of a deal. Or maybe my friends don't make it a big deal.

As to bigcfk - I've always thought of you as older and wiser. Not sure how old you actually are. Hell, you could be younger than me. But you just gave off that perception. Congrats on your big day! Have a drink or two, and enjoy it! It's your day.
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=PhaseDMA]At the risk of coming off as a complete jerk. Ah forget it... I always come off as a complete jerk.

Black History Month is the most useless month long awareness thing ever. No... Scratch that. All month long awareness things are the most useless things ever. Unless you are going to school, or your part of that "special" group no one cares, and if your part of one of those two things you may still not care.

That's the other thing. Black History Month is supposed to be something "special". There is a fundamental issue there. Contrary to popular belief among both blacks and whites, blacks are not special. Just like whites are not special. Until people get that through their thick skulls, and stop looking at blacks as different... Guess what... They will be treated different. Stop requiring that 10% of a college be black. That doesn't provide a service to the blacks. That provides a disservice, because when the blacks get into the schools that shouldn't... They are going to fall flat on their faces, and it becomes a embarrassment for everyone. Are there blacks that get skipped over? Damn straight. Are there even more deserving whites that get skipped over because they are not "special" based on the color of their skin? Damn straight.

Give everyone legitimate equal rights and be done with it for crying out loud. Unless someone is purple no one is special because of the color of their skin. And lets be honest. If you were a big talking dinosaur you would be special too.

And you know what? What the hell is with having Black History Month in the same month as President's Day? Isn't it generally accepted that President's are white elitist? It's not like anyone past the first year celebrated anything Obama did after all.

And it's not just Black History Month. It's Asian History Month, Latino History Month, and all the other BS History Months. I wonder how many people know about those months other then people going to school, and that are part of said group.[/quote]

this. and, to be clear, Phase and Matt seem to have approached but not quite reached the really concise conclusion one can make from this:

Black History Month perpetuates racism. That statement should anger you, and it might be for one of the two following reasons:

1. "No! It doesn't! Black History Month is a great cause that gives african americans the Things They Deserve!"
2. "It perpetuates racism? but... wasn't it created for the sole purpose of curbing and reducing racism?" *cue massive rage*

btw, the "correct answer" is the second reason, if you didn't figure that out. sorry for the negative vibes, i just really hate Black History Month and this is my chance to rant about it.

also happy birthday bigcfk! i used to "sense" you as white (until i found out that you're actually a Swell Black Fellow), but that's how i sense everyone on the internet since, well, i'm white (and human). aren't you turning 21? if so, I raise my glass to you: I turn 21 this Saturday! :>

i have always sensed you as the guy who may not say quite as much as some of us other less-reserved forum members, but you have just as much to say, and you always say it at the right time. cheers.
askmeques

Post by askmeques »

tbh I didn't even remember february was black history month until you said something.

If I was currently teaching, it would probably have been something I discussed in class. But alas, I am not.
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

Happy Birthday.

-------------------------------------------------

I think Black History Month should be eliminated.

It never will though. Same reason the NFL requires teams to interview a minority for a head coaching job, same reason Medical Schools will accept (not sure if it is required) someone who is black with lower credentials than someone who is white with way higher marks. For example, at LSU Medical School, the average acceptance GPA is about a 3.8 for everyone. For blacks, it's roughly ~3.2-3.3, depending on the year.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

The fact that the NFL feels the need to require blacks to be interviewed is absurd. Someone want to look at the color of the coaches who have won the last 5 Super Bowls? Um ya... The rule should be whites have to be interviewed because their clearly less qualified.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||