Plasma Cutter

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Thermite Man

Plasma Cutter

Post by Thermite Man »

Anyone have one they don't use and can sell to me cheep? I don't want to spend more than a grand or so. Has anyone ever used one in the past and do you have any protips that would be a good thing to know?
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
ryn

Re: Plasma Cutter

Post by ryn »

What are you cutting? How thick, how precise are looking to cut. You can easily find a brandnew entry level plasma cutter with a built in air supply for 800 or less. But if you want to cut thicker than 1/4 inch your gonna need something bigger. I've only played around with plasma, as most my needs are usually met with a 4" grinder/cut off wheel combo or an OA torch.
Only advice I have is to always lead into and out of your cuts.

Oh yeah I can also tell you how to make pretty simple device to reproduce complex cuts with little more than a model train controller and some scrap metal.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I wont be cutting anything thicker than about 10 gauge but usually anything between 14 and 20 gauge. I plan on filing/grinding down the pieces to the correct dimensions so does not need to be very exact.
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
ryn

Post by ryn »

Well if you have 220v and a good compressor (4+cfm@60PSI) in your work space you should try and a find a refurbed Northern tool cutter. My friend got it for right around 500, brand new they are 650ish from Here Or you can find a Hobart self contained unit that runs on 115 for about 800 here

Either one of those is great for cutting plate/sheet. I've personally never cut anything smaller then 10 gauge, but I'd imagine, unlike welding, the cuts just get cleaner and faster the smaller you go.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I am reading about these and it seems that if you spend less than a grand on a cutter it will die on you. Maybe the people are pushing the tool too far, which will end up being my case. Most of the problems I am reading about are circut boards breaking and built in air compressors not refilling fast enough to keep up with cutting.