Cell Phone

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cokalsM

Cell Phone

Post by cokalsM »

I'm due for a new phone in about a week for Verizon. I currently have the Droid Incredible. I love it. I could keep it if there's nothing good out.

However the HTC Thunderbolt is out, the SGS2, LG Revolution, and Droid Bionic are coming out shortly.

If possible, I'd take a "lesser" phone if I could get a physical keyboard...which I believe leaves me with the Droid Pro.

Phase (I assume you will be the one to answer), your thoughts/recommendations/whatever?
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
PhaseDMA

Re: Cell Phone

Post by PhaseDMA »

Wait.

The Thunderbolt is a fine phone. The problem is that Verizon is just getting a rehashed version of Sprint's EVO. Sure it is 2009 mhz faster and has slightly better RAM, but that is nothing these days.

Not trying.to push you to Sprint (I'm no) but Sprint is getting a dual core 1.3 pretty soon (just to put things into perspective).

What about the Droid 2? I would still say wait, but unless you have some attachment to the BB style keyboard is would suggest the slide out keyboard is better. And there is no question the Stood has the better screen and/or resolution.

If it was me in your situation I would say there are three options.

A) Wait on Verizon
B) Wait for the EVO 3D to come out on Sprint
C) But the Atrix on AT&T

Really the above choices come down to personal prefrence.

PS Keep in mind I don't keep track of T-Mobile, which I know has top end Android phones too. Specifically the Nexus Site.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

My biggest complaint with the next generation smart phones is the advancement of processing power, they are getting better and more powerful every day but battery technology has seemingly not budged in the past 5 years.

I am a person who used a ENV 1 for 4 years, so I am attached to keyboards and cannot use a phone that does not have a keyboard without not wanting to throw it through a wall. That being said the thunderbolt looks pretty nice.

I am up for a contract renewal and a new phone around the time that the iphone5 should be announced/released so I will be making a decision between a droid and that.

Sorry I didn't really give any suggestions for you but I just wanted to make some points.

Keyboards FTW.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Forget the iPhone. Apple has no respect for their customers. Their mobile devices are ALWAYS behind the curve on day one.

As far as battery life. I think you're a bit confused. Battery life clearly has improved. My phone uses the same exact battery that HTC packaged with the Touch Pro 2 running a processor nearly half the speed of my EVO, and people said the battery life sucked on the Touch Pro 2. Now granted they say the battery life sucks on the EVO (because it kind of does suck), but it's packing double the horsepower. Now if you can the same battery life, and double the horsepower I call that a improvement. Beyond that going from say Android 2.0 to 2.1 you are going to see a improvement in battery life.

So the bottom line is battery life has improved. Perhaps saying "dramatically" would even be fair. The "problem" is that processors have improved much faster, and demand much more power to run. Why? Because that's what customers demand. Beyond that I think battery life improvement really has hit a wall. The only way to really improve battery life is now to do it on the software side (as opposed to improving the battery its self).

As far as hardware keyboards go.... I honestly think that if you can find a software keyboard you like that you can leave the hardware ones in the dust. I like hardware keyboards for certain things, but I don't like them enough to add around double the width to my phone anymore.

For the longest time I thought that iOS had the very best software keyboard, but that mostly had to do with how it predicted things, and a lot less to do with the placement of characters on the screen. Now you have so many choices on Android. SWYPE is a popular one (obviously). "Smart Keyboard Pro" is good, and one that I used for a long time. "SwiftKey" though blows iOS's keyboard away in the predictive category, and frankly it may have the best placement of characters too, but that is still kind of up in the air as far as I'm concerned. And of course there are a ton of others too.

I forgot the name of this one, and I don't think it is out yet, but there is a software keyboard where the keys are on the screen and you type on them like normal, but if you all of a sudden become one character off it doesn't care. It realizes that your constantly off by X space, and accounts for it. As long as your spacing it correct you literally can type in the space of the entire screen, or the smallest section of the screen possible.

As you can see I'm kind of against people saying "I hate software keyboards". I get wanting to get a hardware keyboard at first (Hey I did it too). All I ask though is if you buy a phone with a hardware keyboard don't use it for a entire month. I think most people would be presently surprised with the software keyboards if they give them a legitimate chance.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

Battery life is now on software I agree. But I would like to see something new. I heard rumor of a fuel cell powered phone. I doubt that is anywhere near close.

As for software keyboards, I use the software keyboard on my phone from time to time when I have only one hand free or am lazy. That being said I used the black berry storm for 3 months, in that time I raged over the keyboard many times until ultimately it was thrown at a wall out of frustration and I went back to my ENV. I also use the 'soft keyboard' on my ipod touch rather frequently and I hate it. I know eventually I will have to accept it because no manufacturers will make phone with qwerty keyboards.

Unrelated:
qwerty is a word in FF, news to me...
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

The BlackBerry Storm is a piece of crap. Its moving screen is a hindrance. Not a feature as BB would like you to believe.

And I don't think that hardware keyboard are going anywhere anytime soon. Motorola seems to be quite happy with their Droid sales.
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

My parents pay the bills...Verizon it is. Verizon it will stay. Also, I love Verizon's service down here. No complaints at all.

At this point, I'm thinking about just keeping my Incredible. I love the phone. I may root it...just to feel like I got a new phone. 8) I've been putting that off for months anyway.

The soft keyboard is not a negative on the phone. Rather, the physical keyboard is a positive on the other phones. It's not required in my next phone, but if I can get one with a keyboard that is still relatively new, I may jump on it. Also, I never really caught on to Swype. I downloaded a pirated copy of it and kept trying to make myself get used to it, but I'd always go back to the default HTC Sense keyboard. Not sure why it never sold on me.

I may end up waiting for the Droid 3...who knows. Or I'll atleast wait until the software starts catching up with the dual-cores.

My sister got the Thunderbolt (having come from a non-smartphone). She likes it but I swear they just copied the EVO and slapped on a Verizon logo (like you said). It's just an Incredible with a bigger screen. I understand there is only so much more a phone can change, but just a bigger screen is not worth the upgrade. It may have a better processor but my Incredible flies. I had some initial trouble right when I upgraded to 2.2, but I can't remember the last time I thought I needed something faster.

As for the battery, people tell me how much their battery sucks on their smart phones, but mine is fine. Most of the time people that claim that leave their GPS on all day.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

When you are driving most of the day you kinda need it. But that's what a car charger is for. But my phone gets extremely hot when I run nav and leave the screen on, and the heat kills the battery after I get out of the car.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

Phase, I completely agree with everything you've said.

I came to the EVO from the Touch Pro 2, and the Touch Pro before that. The EVO and TP2 use the exact same battery and I get about the same amount of time out of the EVO. The difference is that I use my EVO a lot more than I did my TP2. Anyone that has been using a smartphone for awhile knows that your battery is going to die before the day is over, so you carry around a spare battery or a charger.

The stock HTC keyboard has a calibration feature. It knows if you always fat finger the U and don't actually need an I.

If you're forced to stick with Verizon, get the Thunderbolt. It's pretty much the same thing as the EVO but a little faster and with a slightly larger screen.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

I'd wait to see what Verizon's new phones are. I have the original Droid. It's slow, but i love how hackable it is. I have it rooted with a custom rom and a gingerbread theme. It's legit.

I hate HTC sense, TouchWiz and MotoBlur. They look like shit. I saw a Thunderbolt. It looks fast, but I really want to wait until more 4g options are out there.