Moving to BlueHost

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Matt

Moving to BlueHost

Post by Matt »

Hiya folks-

I'm going to be moving this server to bluehost in the next few days. When I start that process, the forum on this host will be turned off and the forum on the new host will be turned on. It will take a few hours because I will disable this board and then grab the database - then upload the new database in that process. I will switch DNS servers in the meantime.

I am purchasing 0x20.us and those nameservers will be associated with my new server. So while this board is down and you feel the need to post, you should be able to go to http://mm.0x20.us (not up yet).
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
bigcfk

Re: Moving to BlueHost

Post by bigcfk »

Hey, what's the possibility of getting a domain under your 0x20.org/.us? (bt and/or kc.0x20.__) I think it'd be sweet for short links for the student group I started, and that it'd be a good domain if i every got around to building a website for myself.

I suppose this somewhat also gets back to the idea of a m_m hosting package, too.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm fine with that. I can give you a redirect or I can give you space - just don't do anything illegal :)

By the way, mm.0x20.us is live, but don't post there because that DB is gonna be nuked when I transition this site over (probably in the next day or so).
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

big,

check out the software YOURLS. It allows you to set up your own shortlink service. I have it running on jhzl.us. It has an API and everything so you can use it with WordPress or TweetDeck, and probably other things.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Matt... how do you like Bluehost? I'm lookin for a cheap web host and ive got it narrowed down to a few....

pro's con's?
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Con - They don't pay out their affiliate fees -_-

I still need to bring this up with them, but I hate hassle.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

affiliate fees, as in people who refer people to sign up with a hosting acct, or something else?
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Ya. I promised Matt half of the money he paid for it through my referral link. Which when you get half the referral money makes BlueHost that much better of a host/deal.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Matt

Post by Matt »

The short answer is I like it so far - it has SSH access, which not a lot of shared hosts have - and honestly I would have never gone with them if it didn't have that feature. I haven't seen much downtime - it seemed like every other week dreamhost was killing my site for some reason or another.

I will say getting my acct set up was kind of annoying - I had to "verify" it before they granted me SSH or made a new domain for me - and I signed up on a Saturday so I had to wait until Monday. But the cool part is someone will actually answer your phone call - its not automated like so many other services.

I did notice that the simple script of phpBB didn't work* when I tried it for bigcfk - had to actually install it the real way. But I doubt you will be doing those one-click install things. I despise those with a PASSION!

I looked at the affiliate form and don't want to do it - so give anth the referral and he can split commission with me :P (j/k)

*The script worked and it installed correctly - but there must have been some permission issues going on because he/I couldn't create new forums - it was a really weird permission thing.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

Is it true they limit you to 5 databases?