Windows 7 search troubles

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Wotcher

Windows 7 search troubles

Post by Wotcher »

Windows 7 search doesn't seem to actually do the "searching" it claims to be doing. I was trying to search for a Jimi Hendrix song in my relatively-recently-acquired Hendrix collection. Now, I have had some frustrating learning experiences before with windows 7 search (for example, if you want your search to be accurate/complete, you have to append and prepend your search term(s) with an asterisk -- I know, it makes no fucking sense).

Here's my problem: I entered the term "*freedom*" in the search bar (sans quotes) while browsing my Hendrix folder. No hits. Due to my past issues with Windows search, I had reason to investigate further. I found that the song "Freedom" was indeed inside one of the sub-folders of my Jimi Hendrix folder. Hmm... This is odd. It should have shown up in the search. I quickly discovered that not a single song or sub-folder within my Hendrix folder would register in search! How irritating! In my book, this is a bad enough bug to say that Windows search is critically broken.

Then I decided to see if it was a general problem with my search service, or something. Nope! I tested some other random search terms in different folders, and many hits began to show up in the search results.

So why aren't searches in Jimi Hendrix working properly? Well, I downloaded Jimi Hendrix just a few weeks ago; that is to say that his folder and all of the music inside of it are a new addition to my hard drive. I tested out search terms within other folders & contents that I have recently acquired, and sure enough, all of the ones that have been created relatively recently demonstrated the exact same problem as the Hendrix folders: not a single search term would produce search results, even though I was using search terms that were precisely the same as songs which I knew were inside of that folder.

The hypothesis that I'm led to create, then, is that new folders are somehow not being searched properly by my windows search. Am I missing something?
Thermite Man

Re: Windows 7 search troubles

Post by Thermite Man »

Import library to winamp/foobar. Then use their search feature
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

turn on your indexing service
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

:likesthis: [quote=plasma2002]turn on your indexing service[/quote]
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

yeah my library has been set up in foobar from the start, but for some reason i naturally gravitate away from using media player libraries; i prefer to interact directly with the filesystem.

anyway it seems to work now!

also the indexing service was never off, it turns out. it shouldn't be necessary for me to turn on indexing just to search, anyway.
bigcfk

Post by bigcfk »

It's a conspiracy.
Microsoft hates Hendrix.