Duke Nukem Forever

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Duke Nukem Forever

Post by PhaseDMA »

So I just got Duke Nukem Forever from !Redbox!

A quick review - Note I have not finished the game...

The first thing is obvious. This is a Duke Nukem game. It isn't supposed to be a family game. It's a game that gets right to the AO rating, and then pulls back 0.5% back into the M rating. If you don't expect this then I'm not sure where you have been the last 15+ years.

The second thing you notice is there is a fair amount of interaction in the game. You can turn on faucets, flush toilets, and pick up shit... No... I mean you can pick up human shit. Can you tell the game starts out in a locker room?

But then you realize something. I mean the game comes right out and says it. This game has been in development for 12 years. Do you know what that does to a game? It makes the graphics look like garbage. But you know what? It's actually fine, because clearly this game has been cleaned up a bit graphically for today's standards, but there is a lot of stuff that couldn't have been or simply wasn't updated. It kind of is retro in that respect, and the environment is so graphically rich that the (by today's standards) poor graphics don't take away from the game. This game is a perfect example of why graphics DO NOT MATTER.

However what is not acceptable is the voice acting. It sounds like the audio for Duke came from the very first game. It is terrible. What makes Duke's voice even worse is when you hear the voice audio for other characters - Clearly the audio for Duke was done before the rest of the voice audio because the difference is night and day.

Is it worth renting for a $1.00 with a promo code from Redbox for one day? Sure. Is it worth the $3 I'll end up paying for two days? Yes. Is it worth the $5 for 3 days? Perhaps. Is it worth the $7 for 4 days? Not a chance in hell.

Rent this game if you like the Duke Nukem type of game. But this game couldn't live up to the hype if it had only 1 year of build up. There is no chance in hell it can live up to 12 years of hype.

***No I did not finish the game, and I have no plans to do so
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Post by plasma2002 »

Id rather hear The Duke like i remember him, than hear some new guy try to imitate him.
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.