iPhone 4S

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cokalsM

Re: iPhone 4S

Post by cokalsM »

You're probably right. After I posted that I realized that was most likely someone talking out their ass.

I'm just not buying the respect for Steve Job's death, however.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
DoLFaN

Post by DoLFaN »

[quote=Matt]Anthony, what do you have to say about these benchmark results? Looks like the 4S is very comparable to the Galaxy Tablet - and performs much better than the Galaxy phone....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/ipho ... han-ipad-2[/quote]

I'm asking this in a very sincere way since I honestly do not know the answer... How does this not prove that the 4S is an elite phone? It beat 98% of the competition in each benchmark. I understand (well actually, no I don't) that they were just "browser" tests, but how is it not also a "hardware" test as well since the speed of the browser depends on the hardware...?

Also, I hate Apple. I think Macs are the biggest joke in the world. All of Apple's products are very expensive for seemingly no reason, and the company is very fanboyish.

With that being said, I loved my iPhone 3GS. It finally broke today (after about the 10,000th drop) and I'm thinking about getting the 4S. I wanted to hold out until the iPhone 5, but... oh well....

But let's be honest here, the iPhone is a great phone. It's not the best phone, it doesn't have the best specs or the most features. You can't take out the battery and it doesn't have any expansion slots or USB inputs. But it does smartphone extremely well. The OS is absurdly smooth and clean, no clutter. It's very easy to figure out and use. It's intuitive. The App Store for the iPhone is the best app store around, with countless apps to choose from. Yes, the Android app market is probably more robust with probably more apps to choose from than Apple's App Store, and you don't have to go through the evil Apple Gestapo to get your app out on the market. But I think the "gestapo" thing actually helps the App Store, you know the app you're downloading won't fuck with your shit.

And with all of THAT being said...I still hate Apple. I have a conspiracy theory that with each iOS update they slow down their old phones. When I got my 3GS is was blazing fast. But when the iOS upgrade came when the iPhone 4 came out, I noticed my 3GS slowed significantly. Was this merely the result of a more complex iOS straining the older hardware? Perhaps. But I think it was Apple somehow making the new iOS secretly tell 3GS phones (and older) to slow down, perhaps as a way to entice people to upgrade to the newer, "faster" phones. I noticed my 3GS had another significant slow down once iOS 5 came out for the 4S. This conspiracy theory/scam certainly worries me.

But still... I think as far as phone software/operating system goes, I think Apple does it the best which is why I will probably get another iPhone. Those benchmark results only helps me make that decision. Unless Phase or someone can explain to me logically how those benchmark results are useless, because they seem to tell a good story......

But like I said, I really don't know all that much about that type of stuff :shock: :P :?: :?: :?: :wub:
http://www.torrentscan.com - search multiple torrent sites
http://www.nsanedown.com - be a pirate....yaharrrr
askmeques

Post by askmeques »

DoLFaN....

I agree with everything you said.

I loved my 3GS, and last week when it finally was on it's last leg, I decided to upgrade to the 4S.

I have always been anti-Apple as well, I hate Macs etc etc. But the iPhone just works, and it does what it does well.

Brian and I have even had talks about them slowing down the old iPhones with their updates.

so yes.

tldr: ^^this
Quirk wrote:i suck cocks
Shameless Business Plug
facebookizzle
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Why the conspiracy theory? Probably since Android phones become faster with each new version (at least with hardware from the past year).

Here is my request. Go to your carrier and be prepared to take them up on their 30 day return policy. Buy a Android device. If you don't like it keep it for at least 25 days. If you still don't like it as much as the iPhone I will be shocked. Shocked you don't like it the first week? Nope. Shocked you don't like it after a month? Yes.

I personally don't know a single person who bought a Android phone, and switched to another platform after giving it a fair chance. Have people I know returned Android phones? Yes. However none of them returned them because of the OS (aka they bought another Android phone). Example: My friend at work bought a LG Ally (I assure you I wouldn't not have allowed him to buy a LG Android phone). He HATED the phone, and promptly returned it for a Droid 2. Not only does he love the phone to death he is ecstatic to upgrade to the Droid 3 (until I told him the Droid 4 is in the pipeline today).

And I would never intentionally try to imply that the iPhone (current version) is a top tier phone. What I do want to drive home is this - Try Android, and I don't mean for 30 seconds. Try it for a month. And buy the expensive one. Why the expensive one? Because the iPhone is expensive. To try and save money isn't fair if you are going to go expensive with the other platform.

Another real world example: Another co-worker came into work today with a Thunderbolt, which pretty much shocked me. WTF? But she still has her Blackberry. Long story short because of her brother she is getting the chance to "upgrade".

Here is the thing. She LOVES Blackberry. Here is the other thing. She deep (very deep) down knows Android is a superior OS (iOS doesn't factor into this scenario for various reasons - the largest being the Thunderbolt is already on their family plan).

So what does she think about Android? It drives her nuts. So she probably will end up switching back to her Blackberry when her brother's plan gets suspended right? Nope. After 1 day (1 night?) of using Android, and being annoyed by it she still realizes it's the superior OS.

Now what do you think is going to happen 6-24 months down the road when she gets to upgrade to any phone she wants? Is she going to go with Android, or iOS. The answer is pretty dead simple - She is going to pick Android. How am I so sure? Because the largest argument against Android is it's ease of use. But even the most challenged user is going to figure out a OS in 6 months. Which leads us back to - Try Android for a month.

Another example? Again from work today? --- A co-worker was getting the same text message like 5 times. A strange bug, but whatever. He didn't know how to fix it, so I asked to see his phone, and I cleared the cache for the messaging program. Honestly I don't know if this fixed the problem, but for random bugs in my experience (across all apps) this fixes "random" bugs 50-80% of the time. Where else can you do that? None of the other OSs as far as I know.

So bottom line. Android is simple to use, powerful (both in hardware and software), and offers more device choices then you can shake a stick at. The question shouldn't be why the iPhone is inferior to a top tier Android phone, but rather why Android is so great.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
DoLFaN

Post by DoLFaN »

I agree that if I was to get an Android phone I should go with one that is similar in price to the iPhone, in order to compare apples to apples. And I will look into if ATT has the 30 return policy thing and I'll take you up on that challenge.

But Phase, you still didn't answer my question about the benchmarks!
http://www.torrentscan.com - search multiple torrent sites
http://www.nsanedown.com - be a pirate....yaharrrr
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

My answer was, and continues to be that those numbers are either trivial, or in some cases pointless. Again... Any frame rate above 60 fps is 1080p HD making anything above that pointless (it's not like the current hardware is going to run 4K HD).

If you want a iPhone buy a iPhone. However if you are not a Apple user, I'm not sure why you are paying top dollar for something less then the best device. You know that camera Apple is touting in the 4G S? Ya... My phone had that same sensor in June of last year. Don't let Apple fool you with their classic "new and magical" BS lines. New to them? Yes. New to existing phones? Almost never.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

I just want the Galaxy Nexus to get a release date... wahhhhh.
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

[quote=cokalsM]I'm holding out for the Nexus Prime for now. I'm fully expecting to be let down. No phone has ever been as good as the rumors are. There will be some snag by Verizon or Samsung. Who knows.
[/quote]

Just want to point out:

Phone still isn't released.

Verizon is throwing some crapware on it, despite it being a Nexus.

EDIT: I didn't realize this thread was still being posted it, and just saw the previous posts. Don't have time to really read them. But, my mom got a Droid 2. She is so technologically unsavy. She loves it. Granted, we had to show her how to do everything. She isn't one to fool with it on her own but once we showed her everything it could do and what she can use it for she's hooked.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]