New Android Toy! A tablet!

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

New Android Toy! A tablet!

Post by PhaseDMA »

mahaha I just got my newest Android toy!

The first thought is I want to make a post here about it. My second thought is no one here is going to care. My third thought is people here actually might care a lot about what I have to say on the subject.

So I finally came up with the cash and broke down and bought a Android tablet. Of course the issue was never a issue with the desire to buy a tablet, but rather with buying one at a point where I won't feel like I got screwed over by price, yet won't feel under powered in 12 months or less.

So I checked out Google Shopping, and this website: http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_13_0 (The website looks like crap, but it seems to do a VERY good job of finding great tablet deals from ultra crap tablets to ultra awesome tablets)

So for some strange reason after looking at those two sites I decided to checkout Best Buy. Best Buy? Their prices always suck right? Well they had a 32 GB Asus Transformer for $100 less then anywhere else. They also had it for the same price as the 16 GB model which I'm still trying to figure out. I'm slowly finding out that BestBuy.com has a few great deals that the stores don't have.

So I went into the store and asked if they had a 32 GB Transformer. Here is the thing. I knew they did, but I was worried if I said "Do you have a 32 GB Transformer for $399?" I would somehow get screwed over with a lie that they didn't. So they get it, and I quickly point out the $399 price and flash my phone with the browser window open. "Oh yeah of course"... Looking at the receipt, they had to add a $50 promo code to get to the right price.... Whatever... No hassle so I can't complain.

So... They convinced me to get the dock for the tablet. Let me tell you something. I'm not a dock kind of person. Gimmicks and all I figure, but on the other hand it seems everyone that has one of these has the dock, plus it more then doubles the battery life. Add the open box 14 day return policy I figured what the hell.

------

So I get in the car. I was kind of disappointed the tablet had NO charge. I was kind of surprised by how well it felt in the hand. I mean I have played around with it quite a bit in the store, but you can't really get a feel for it with the security device on it.

-----

Get in the house. The brown color really put me off. I mean the color wasn't going to be a deal breaker, but it looked.... Bad... Get it home, and somehow it doesn't look half as bad. In fact it might actually be kind of cool.

The device really is pretty sleek. I mean it is no Galaxy Tab 10.1, but it is a nice looking device, and it feels solid in the hand. Honestly it may be the perfect size. The Galaxy Tab is nice and thin, but at a certain point things may be getting to thin. This is very much up for debate, and very much will vary by user and hand size though.

The screen. Wow. I mean I think a lot of it has to do with a great choice in default wallpaper, but this IPS screen looks nice, and I'm not sure you can hold it at a practical angle and not see the screen. Also there is a "ASUS" logo at the top left corner of the screen, but until just now (when I'm looking the device over" I didn't ever notice it. The bezel is nice, and the logo doesn't become a distraction.

The dock. Right now I'm having mixed feelings on it, but at the end of the day I like it. Here is the problem. The way my hands rest I can't seem to type anything long on the keyboard without hitting the touchpad and messing everything up. I wanted to type this out on the dock's keyboard, but after a bunch of attempts I couldn't even get past the first paragraph. I probably could have tried harder, but the last thing I wanted was to get half way though the post before I lost my patience and had to start all over. However I might learn how to deal with this over time. I seem to remember the same sort of issue at first with my CR-48. Now I can go weeks without using the CR-48 and then use it, and not have that type of problem.

Here is the thing. For short, but repeated text entries (like downloading all my apps and doing the required searches) this dock is KING. Here is the other thing though... Having a laptop/netbook with a touchscreen is crazy. IT JUST WORKS! I'm not talking about it working like you would expect it to. I'm talking it goes to that point, and just blows right past. I simply can't express how awesome this combination is. Silly things like fixing text entry and hitting with your finger exactly where you want to be. Sure there is the touchpad, but I hate touchpads on any device, and at certain points the finger is really better then even a normal mouse... No mouse is ever going to move across the screen as quickly as my finger can. Period.

A minor point. The "esc" key on the keyboard has been replaced by the Android back button. The Android back button in that spot frankly works better as the "esc" key then the "esc" key could ever hope to on Windows. Probably pretty obvious, but still genius. There are other Android keys on the keyboard, and they work as expected, but none... Dare I say even the Android home button functions as well as the Android back button does on this keyboard.

CR-48? The Transformer+Dock is clearly going after the same market as the Chrome Books. The Transformer with the dock is by far heavier then my CR-48. This isn't to say the Transformer+Dock is heavy, but it can't compare to the CR-48. That said the Transformer is so much more superior then the CR-48 both in power, functionality and probably priced better then any other Chrome Book. It pains me to say this, but I love Google to death, but after playing with the CR-48 for a year, and playing with the Transformer+Dock for a day... I have NO idea why Google is wasting resources on the Chrome Books. Chrome Books are a great concept. The problem is Android Books are a much better concept in just about every way.

Ports. I really don't like the USB ports on the dock. It has this strange thing going on where you have to pull out the protective cover (which can be a big pain) while it actively fights to retract back. I hate protective covers on ports, and I really question the need for it on a keyboard dock. I don't remember ever seeing any true laptop with protective covers over USB ports. 30 pin connector - I find it hard to believe that ASUS really needs this port for charging. For the dock? Maybe. For charging? Doubtful. It isn't a big deal right now, but I assure you it will be when I lose the 30 pin cable, or when I'm over at a friends house without the cable and need a charge. HDMI port - I really dislike all these different HDMI ports, however while at first I want to knock it, I do support it (rather then making the tablet thicker). SD Card - I find it cool that between the dock and the tablet you have both a mini and normal size SD card port. There have been a shocking number of times where I didn't have the right port to use the SD card type that I had at that moment (typically a mini SD card without a adapter).

Webcam. It sucks. Who cares though? I have my phone. It is very much functional though. Think webcam, and not much else. I'm not sure I understand putting webcams on the front of tablets anyways. I'm not knocking the expense of adding it, but I wonder how many people are going to use it more then 10 times over the active life of the tablet.

Transformer+Dock form factor. I'm shocked. The tablet and dock come together very nicely. Like a lot nicer then you would think this type of thing would. It does have this strange little hinge thing going on when it is closed, but what do you expect? Short of magic I'm not sure there is a better way to do it without adding a huge chunk of money to the price of the dock.

Verdict. I like it. I think that ASUS spent a lot of time and thought on how best to approach this tablet. You have to realize that this tablet really opened the Android tablet market wide open. ASUS "gets it", and they got it by doing something pretty crazy. I mean a tablet with a dock?!?! Ya other people have done it before with Windows, but a Windows tablet already was absurd. A Windows tablet with a dock was even more absurd. A Android tablet with a dock? That has to be even more absurd then the last two right? But somehow it works. There is a reason that everyone praises the ASUS Transformer - Because it does what is expected, and it does it at a price that undercuts everyone, and many times still manages to be the better looking device. It makes the size of the Toshiba Thrive a huge joke (unless your hands demand that huge size), and laughs at the build quality of the Acer Iconia all day long.

Do I wish the Transformer Prime didn't have the radio issues and I had extra $100 to spend for the extra power? Yes. Do I think I'll regret this purchase in 12 months? No.

After 12 hours of use do I suggest you buy a 32 GB ASUS Transformer for $399 from Best Buy? Hell yes! 18-24 months ago I would have never ever bought a ASUS product (mostly because the name hadn't built enough of a reputation yet). Today though I'm heavily inclined to look for what ASUS has to offer in the same arena as any other product I'm already considering.

Side note: I'm kind of worried about these on screen buttons that in 12 months will be the only real option for controlling the home, menu, back and search buttons. Hopefully it's just a learning curve though (realize I have known only the hardware keys for the entire 28 months I have been using Android). I do however love the concept of being able to eliminate the space wasted by hardware keys when you don't need them. <---- Jason (or anyone else)... Thoughts?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
plasma2002

Re: New Android Toy! A tablet!

Post by plasma2002 »

How "broken" is the GPS in it?
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Not at all? I have not tried it outside, but it grabs my location faster (MUCH FASTER) then my phone ever does. It's off by a tiny bit, but I suspect if I was outside or moving it would pinpoint me exactly.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Master Jedi

Post by Master Jedi »

[quote=plasma2002]How "broken" is the GPS in it?[/quote]

That would be the transformer prime with the broken GPS. Worked the first time I used it then never again. The little free GPS dongle they gave out that plugs into the dock port works great though.

Edit: First post :like:
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

[quote="Master Jedi"]Edit: First post :like:[/quote]

:shock:

wow, HI!
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
Master Jedi

Post by Master Jedi »

Hi Brian.
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

Plasma.... I only read the first couple words of each paragraph. you googled something and then blah blah blah went to the store blah blah blah side note.... blah.

I really have no input, but I wish I had the money for a tablet. I'm trying to find a cheap used Nook Simple Touch to root and customize.

The real reason for my post... Master Jedi.... member for 9 years... just made first post. Now, my question: Did you remember your password or have to have it reset?
Matt

Post by Matt »

What the.....why is that only your first post, Master Jedi?

Quirk: Originally posted in Feb. No worries about reading it, I didn't. And it was Phase's post, not Plasma's :P
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

Where am I? Who are you people? I am not good with computer.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

No one read it, but it has 123 views Image :evil: