Static Shock?

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Static Shock?

Post by PhaseDMA »

Can you kill a power supply with static shock like you can with say a motherboard, or graphics card?

I just got my PSU for the computer I will be building and the thing will not turn on.

Oddly enough the old PSU I had all of a sudden won't power on.

Did I just kill two PSUs with static shock (which I didn't think was possible) or is there some other oddity going on?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jenna

Re: Static Shock?

Post by Jenna »

Did you hit the on switch?

(No, really. My PSU had a switch that was hidden and up against the case wall. I had to uninstall it, flip the switch, and then reinstall... then all was right as rain.)

You could also make sure the little wattage switch is in the right place.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Jenna...

The right track. Wrong place.

Did I flip the on switch on the PSU? Yes. About a billion times.

Did I bother trying the god @&$^ing @&$^ power button on the front of the case? No. Why on earth would I even consider that?

Common sense didn't set in until I did this image search: https://www.google.com/search?q=psu+off ... 09&bih=686 to make sure the PSU was off before I plugged it in (I was thinking safety feature) and saw this picture:

Which quickly made me think of the annoying tiny power/reset/etc connections, which immediately made me realize how much of *a* idiot I am, and reinforced my fear of building this computer. Oh well. Far to late to turn back now lol.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jenna

Post by Jenna »

Wait... so you didn't turn the computer on? At all?

Sigh.

I retract my previous assertion pertaining to your ability to build a computer.