Google I/O

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

cokalsM

Re: Google I/O

Post by cokalsM »

[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

I bashed Google before on their apathetic and disinterested attitude towards carriers/manufacturers ruining Android with bloatware. I said now that they owned Motorola Mobility, they really had NO choice for still pushing out MotoBlur and other bloatware apps. It was pathetic and no matter how much people defended them, I felt Google should be better than "that".

The late updating or even nonexistent updating of relatively new phones is still somewhat sketchy (it it probably isn't their fault, but could/should they put their foot down more? yes), but OWNING a company that continued to produce a bloated down version of Android was unacceptable.

And they delivered, so I should now get them equal acknowledgement/respect. I received Jellybean on my Razr Maxx today and it's extremely stripped down. I don't even see any indication that MotoBlur is on here. Granted, they did drastically cut it down in the ICS update, but now EVERYTHING Motorola is off the phone.

Well done, Google.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

Now they need to push it for Droid4
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

You see. I do know what I'm talking about. These things take time even when the manufacture is heavily inclined to bring the updates.

[quote=PhaseDMA post_id=23653]Why is it ridiculous? Because you don't like it?

Here is the thing. Google does think that this is a issue, and last year they tried to address it with their 18 month promise, but it isn't that simple. You can't just go "Oh here is a new version of Android, so lets get it on the device tomorrow". You have to do testing, and deployment strategy and all of this other Q and A before you can roll it out.

Even if you assume that they could just slap Jelly Bean onto a ICS (I assure you they can't) you still have to factor in deployment. You can't just roll out. What do you think would happen to the Verizon network if all of a sudden Motorola released a over the air update to every single user? It would come crashing down.

But it's not just about logistics. Every single major OEM changes Android when they release it. Some not very much at all, but none of them can just press a update button. Just ask Cyanogenmod. How long does it take them to get their software working on the very first phone they decide to support? Weeks? And who gets to complain if something doesn't work? No one. Who gets to complain if something doesn't work on a Motorola phone? Everyone.

Look. I've seen manufactures release updates to Android phones that bricked the phones during upgrade (another reason for staggered releases). So even if you have a company like Asus who seems to take updates to their devices *very* serious, it takes time to make sure things don't go wrong, and even when you try to make sure things don't go wrong in a quick fashion they still do.

Here is the other thing. Google can update their Nexus phones much faster than anyone else. Yet it still can take weeks for a Nexus device to get the newest announced version of Android. So if it takes Google weeks (and they have the most to lose by not upgrading phones), how can you possibly expect the OEMs to do it in any less time then a month much less longer?

The bottom line is there is want and desire. Than there is reality. Typically those things don't line up the way we would want.

If you want the most current version of Android you have a couple choices - Buy the Nexus line of phones (and really there is little reason to not do so at this point), buy one of the other popular phones with good 3rd party rom support, or stop getting upset it takes so long to get a update. You can figure out pretty easily how fast a OEM is going to update their phones based on past performance. But you have to realize that there are 400 million Android devices activated. That's 12 every single second. How many different devices is that? I don't know, but it's more than one company can possibly be expected to support. On the flip side Apple has 3 phones they support, but they are not pulling anything magical off when updating their phones either.[/quote]
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

[quote=PhaseDMA post_id=25024]You see. I do know what I'm talking about. These things take time even when the manufacture is heavily inclined to bring the updates.

[quote=PhaseDMA post_id=23653]Why is it ridiculous? Because you don't like it?

Here is the thing. Google does think that this is a issue, and last year they tried to address it with their 18 month promise, but it isn't that simple. You can't just go "Oh here is a new version of Android, so lets get it on the device tomorrow". You have to do testing, and deployment strategy and all of this other Q and A before you can roll it out.

Even if you assume that they could just slap Jelly Bean onto a ICS (I assure you they can't) you still have to factor in deployment. You can't just roll out. What do you think would happen to the Verizon network if all of a sudden Motorola released a over the air update to every single user? It would come crashing down.

But it's not just about logistics. Every single major OEM changes Android when they release it. Some not very much at all, but none of them can just press a update button. Just ask Cyanogenmod. How long does it take them to get their software working on the very first phone they decide to support? Weeks? And who gets to complain if something doesn't work? No one. Who gets to complain if something doesn't work on a Motorola phone? Everyone.

Look. I've seen manufactures release updates to Android phones that bricked the phones during upgrade (another reason for staggered releases). So even if you have a company like Asus who seems to take updates to their devices *very* serious, it takes time to make sure things don't go wrong, and even when you try to make sure things don't go wrong in a quick fashion they still do.

Here is the other thing. Google can update their Nexus phones much faster than anyone else. Yet it still can take weeks for a Nexus device to get the newest announced version of Android. So if it takes Google weeks (and they have the most to lose by not upgrading phones), how can you possibly expect the OEMs to do it in any less time then a month much less longer?

The bottom line is there is want and desire. Than there is reality. Typically those things don't line up the way we would want.

If you want the most current version of Android you have a couple choices - Buy the Nexus line of phones (and really there is little reason to not do so at this point), buy one of the other popular phones with good 3rd party rom support, or stop getting upset it takes so long to get a update. You can figure out pretty easily how fast a OEM is going to update their phones based on past performance. But you have to realize that there are 400 million Android devices activated. That's 12 every single second. How many different devices is that? I don't know, but it's more than one company can possibly be expected to support. On the flip side Apple has 3 phones they support, but they are not pulling anything magical off when updating their phones either.[/quote][/quote]

Yep, you were riiiii.....

Can't do it. Sorry. :D
----------

EDIT (Unrelated to recent posts):
I should add that there is no shortage of Verizon crap on the update. That was also part of my spiel. One step at a time I guess.

I just realized owning Motorola further strengths Google's pull. They really could leverage BOTH Motorola and Android now to tell Verizon to stop putting extra stuff on their phones (and delaying updates). While it would be suicide to tell Verizon stop or we won't supply any phone/Android, I'm sure they could "threaten" something.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

There is only so much that Google can do in regards to Verizon. Really there isn't much.

In order to fix these issues Google needs to be talking to Samsung and get Samsung to talk to Verizon. The problem is Samsung doesn't have any major concerns with Verizon so they have no reason to play hard ball with Verizon. HTC can't afford to play hard ball. Motorola couldn't before, but now they can as Google has demonstrated.

I'm not sure I would make the argument, but there is an argument to be made that Google is playing hard ball with Verizon. After all Verizon has to approve the new roms that get pushed to the Verizon handsets.

I need to wait for this to play out. It could play out in months (I doubt it), or it could still be many years before we see the end results (much more likely).
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

S4 announcement is tomorrow, I think.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.