Moto X or Nexus 5?

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

PhaseDMA

Moto X or Nexus 5?

Post by PhaseDMA »

Moto X or Nexus 5?

I'm feeling like the Moto X wins the day. Customization, Power Sipping, and the active listening is just cool.

The biggest concern I have is updates now that Lenovo owns them. :ugh:

Also I really don't like large phones. 4.5" really is my cut off, but if you want a top of the line phone that obviously isn't really something you can get anymore.

Plus "Skip" is just compelling (although I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't buy it).

Of course just about anything would be better than this crappy Samsung Infuse I currently have.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
cokalsM

Re: Moto X or Nexus 5?

Post by cokalsM »

[quote=PhaseDMA post_id=27273]Moto X or Nexus 5?

I'm feeling like the Moto X wins the day. Customization, Power Sipping, and the active listening is just cool.

The biggest concern I have is updates now that Lenovo owns them. :ugh:

Also I really don't like large phones. 4.5" really is my cut off, but if you want a top of the line phone that obviously isn't really something you can get anymore.

Plus "Skip" is just compelling (although I'm not sure if I would or wouldn't buy it).

Of course just about anything would be better than this crappy Samsung Infuse I currently have.[/quote]

I am eligible for a new phone (on Verizon) as of yesterday. I was sure I was going to get the Moto X and then the Lenovo bomb was dropped.

Ultimately I thought back to when Google first acquired Moto Mobility. It took a looooong time before there was any noticeable difference. So, I'm still going to purchase the Moto X.

Why I haven't purchased it yet? Because my time has been occupied with other things. I'd like to do more comprehensive research on it in case I missed something a few weeks ago.

And I agree with the screen size dilemma (I actually mispelled it as "dilema" and Chrome suggested "dilemma" and "middleman" - weird). I wish phones were a bit smaller.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
ryn

Post by ryn »

Moto x doesn't have mhl or slimport capabilities. So no reliable way to get video out. That was my deciding factor when you could get either phone contact free for 350. Other then that I think it's a crap shoot. Nexus 5 has wireless charging too. Both phones should get updates quickly. I get 14hrs on sprint and a little more on t mobile with average use on nexus 5.
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

I have had the moto x for about 6 months now.

Pros:
With regular use I get ~1d 5h of battery life
With light use I get 1d 18h of battery life
With heavy use I get ~19h of battery life
Very fast, the voice recognition comes handy quite often.

Cons:
Built in battery
No SD expansion
No Video out
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

[quote="Thermite Man" post_id=27278]I have had the moto x for about 6 months now.

Pros:
With regular use I get ~1d 5h of battery life
With light use I get 1d 18h of battery life
With heavy use I get ~19h of battery life
Very fast, the voice recognition comes handy quite often.

Cons:
Built in battery
No SD expansion
No Video out[/quote]

No 'video out" is NBD to me - I never use that. I have a built in battery on my Razr Maxx and it's a non-issue - I just hard reset it if there is ever anything going on that I can't do a normal reboot (which is almost always due to a custom ROM bugging out). The lack of SD expansion at sucks at face value, but thinking about it a little deeper I realize now that I use Spotify and no music is actually stored on my phone, I won't ever fill up whatever storage the phone has. The only real storage drain will be pictures.

I'll be purchasing the Moto X later today.
[quote=plasma2002 post_id=27745]My Beerizza store is no bar. You walk in, hand over your $25, get handed a case and a pie. Then you leave. You want soda? What part of Beer&Pizza only dont you get? You want cheese sticks? Who the f... Get the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

The video out isnt a huge deal, but it is one of those things that is nice to have when you do need it.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=ryn post_id=27277]Moto x doesn't have mhl or slimport capabilities. So no reliable way to get video out.[/quote]

Chromecast right?
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
cokalsM

Post by cokalsM »

I learned the Nexus 5 isn't even coming to VZW. I hate Verizon.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

i <3 my nexus 5
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
ryn

Post by ryn »

Can chromecast mirror the phone? I need full mirroring for my situation but I guess chromecast would cover the vast majority of users needs.