New Site, New Forums... But no posts...

The latest news on middle_man!
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

These forums are not blue though :-/
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
greenwizard88

Post by greenwizard88 »

[quote=PhaseDMA]These forums are not blue though :-/[/quote]
No, the old forums were the blue and gray. the old old forums were the yellow and green. These forums can be the Phpbb boards (at least for now)
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
Centrino 1.7 Ghz | XP Pro SP2 | LAIM 0.3 | AIM 5.9 w/ m_m b3
deeesseee

Post by deeesseee »

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I was dse83base on the old forums (the v2 forums).

I don't post on the forums anymore but I still read stuff a lot, but I'm just curious, why did you switch to phpBB? It's not as secure as other forums, especially since it doesn't salt it MD5 passwords, which makes them much more likely to be recovered with rainbow tables or MD5 string databases. If you wanted a good free forum, had you considered something like PunBB? It's very small file size, and to my experience is faster than any other main bulletin board systems. phpBB's only real advantages are that it can run on database systems other than mySQL, but I'm guessing you're using that anyway, so it doesn't make a difference. It also comes in a bunch of languages (61 to my knowledge), but does middleman need anything other than English? Obviously you're not going to reconvert the whole forums again, I'm not suggesting you do, just curious why phpBB was the final choice.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

From my experience phpBB is a VERY solid piece of software. The only thing that *used* to compare to it was IPB, but that was back in the day when it was free.

The exact answer to your question I'm sure is - phpBB is the most solid free piece of forum software out there with the best level of support.

The previous forum was becoming VERY insecure.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
deeesseee

Post by deeesseee »

Have you seen punBB (especially in action)? I don't mean that as a come-back to an arguement, but more sharing a good peice of software with someone.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

I have not had the chance to really use punBB on any level compared to IPB, vB, and phpBB but I have never been a fan of the "stripped" kind of forums.

This isn't the way I am with most software, but as far as forums go I want a nice V8 under the hood. Of course the problem with that is it becomes a massive mess, but none of these forum packages do that out of the box.

After having used all these diffrent packages I have always been quite comfortable with phpBB (perhaps because it was my first and seems to always be my last forum I have used). vB is also quite nice... But it has a price tag on it which I doubt I would ever pay.
deeesseee

Post by deeesseee »

Oh yeah, have you also seen the IPB 2.0 unlimited trial? It has all of the functions of IPB 2.0, except they don't distribute it anymore, but it is legal to still use without a license.
[quote="Thermite Man"]YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A SIG hahhahahaha!!! noob...[/quote]
Jon8RFC

Post by Jon8RFC »

What about the favicon?
AIM 5.9.6089 || m_m 0.3.0004 || Smilez 3.0 b.15
razor sharp, razor clean
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

[quote=Jon8RFC]What about the favicon?[/quote]

did the green/yellow site have a favicon? i can't remember.

lets hold a contest, everyone design a favicon and submit it and then we'll all
vote on them, and then maybe harry & john will use what we vote for.
Jordan K

Post by Jordan K »

I know I am going to sound like a noob, but what is a favicon?
Jordan