BETA 3: Return of the 100% CPU bug

Please submit any bugs that you find here. Make sure the bug has not already been submitted by reviewing the 'Known Issues' forum above.

Moderator: Moderators

greenwizard88

BETA 3: Return of the 100% CPU bug

Post by greenwizard88 »

I really hate to be the barer of bad news, but that annoyingly nasty CPU bug is back.

I was talking to my friends online for a few hours, and about a half hour before I got off, I sent her a file. It was my friends techno song he had done, an m4a, if you at all care.

about 1/2 way through sending the 3.5 mb file, AIM froze, but then it came back. Then it froze, but came back again. Then the file finished sending, and it was all good until I opened outlook.. and everything went to hell. I looked at task manager, and AIM was using 98% of my CPU.

Unlike in beta 2, this bug doesn't render AIM completely useless (just mostly useless), and it seems to only appear during a file transfer, but it doesn't stop when the file transfer is over.

I figured the best way to fix the bug would be to exit AIM, and restart. that didn't work. yes, you read that correctly. I right clicked on AIM in the taskbar and hit exit, but it kept eating away at my CPU. I had to force quit AIM through the task manager. exiting from the program didn't work.

When I restarted AIM it was fine again.
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
Centrino 1.7 Ghz | XP Pro SP2 | LAIM 0.3 | AIM 5.9 w/ m_m b3
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

i don't think it's middle_man causing it anymore.... i get the same thing with aim lite... i think it's something with the protocol.
greenwizard88

Post by greenwizard88 »

I noticed that too (with AIM lite) but um.. well to be perfectly honest I doubted John and Harry's coding ability over AOL's.. I would have thought that they could have at least written a program to work with their protocol.

If that is indeed the case, can this be moved into the sugguest a feature category- Make AIM work with the AIM protocol? :roll:
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
Centrino 1.7 Ghz | XP Pro SP2 | LAIM 0.3 | AIM 5.9 w/ m_m b3
Jason

Post by Jason »

Because of the method beta 3 uses to "proxy", and because of a similar bug in the program ProfileXtender (which uses the same method), I'd say this is more likely a Middle_Man bug. It isn't, however, the same bug that was in beta 2.
Harry

Post by Harry »

For the people experiencing this: It would be helpful to know if you're only experiencing it during file transfers. This helps us narrow down the code that could be causing it.
Jon8RFC

Post by Jon8RFC »

And to clarify--this is an actual file transfer and not a file being sent over DC, correct?
AIM 5.9.6089 || m_m 0.3.0004 || Smilez 3.0 b.15
razor sharp, razor clean