Alternate aliasing

Suggest any new ideas you have for a feature here. Please make sure your idea for a feature has not already been suggested by checking the 'Already Suggested Features' forum above.

Moderator: Moderators

Nibesto

Alternate aliasing

Post by Nibesto »

I just picked up the new middle_man, and it's pretty sweet! I have an issue with how aliases are handled, though - would it be possible to read aliases embedded into your buddy list, ala "friendly names" in AIM 6? I took a look at a buddy list dump, and they seem to be a subsection of a buddy entry, and probably wouldn't be that hard to implement. Is there a possibility of incorporating this kind of aliasing with middle_man?
rawr

Post by rawr »

[quote=John] - We are not currently pulling the aliases from AIM's friendly names. We plan on doing this in the future so that you can have your middle_man aliases anywhere you go. [/quote]
Nibesto

Post by Nibesto »

Ah, right, fair enough. I'm still curious as to why it's so difficult to implement, though...
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

It's not difficult. They are just prioritizing.
Jason

Post by Jason »

The major problem with it is that middle_man requires unique aliases while friendly names do not necessarily have to be unique (with friendly names you can name two screennames identically, with middle_man you cannot). Therefore, careful considerations have to be made to ensure screennames are aliased correctly. Using friendly names also increases difficulty with tasks such as aliasing in the Log Viewer - not having a solid, dependable list of aliases creates problems.
Nibesto

Post by Nibesto »

That makes complete sense. Thanks for the explanation.

(by the way, nice job with Vario, there! I tried it out for a bit, pity it doesn't have a log viewer/friendly names though, so I switched back for the moment :P)