Keepalive packet timing control

Suggest any new ideas you have for a feature here. Please make sure your idea for a feature has not already been suggested by checking the 'Already Suggested Features' forum above.

Moderator: Moderators

SwordOfZork

Keepalive packet timing control

Post by SwordOfZork »

A major problem for filesharers(especially bittorrent) who also use AIM is the rate at which is sends out keepalive packets. I'll explain everything so anyone who doesn't know can understand.

Keepalive packets are sent out by AIM periodically to remind the server that it is still connected, and has a working internet connection. AIM sends these packets out every 7 minutes. This makes a single quick connection to the sever. Bittorrent and other file-sharing applications have to make hundreds of connections to function fully.

Routers keep connections alive in a "table." Under ideal conditions, this table would be quickly purged of connections that have no activity (say, every 90 seconds). This would make filesharing much faster. Unfortunately, when you set a router to something this fast, AIM's connection is purged because it doesn't send keepalive packets out fast enough. In order to remedy this, you have to set the purge time much higher, but this overloads the router's table because it can't purge the hundreds of bittorrent connections quickly enough.

Other AIM and IM clients have options to adjust how often it sends out keep alive packets. This, when configured right(send out keepalive more often), can result in both the IM client, and file-sharing clients operating at full speed with no disconnects.

I love middleman, but have had to stop using it because it lacks this feature. PLEASE implement this! Middle man is a great client mod, and it would be even better with this feature added. I don't know how easy/possible this would be to implement, though.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

I would think the function would be easy to pull off.

Now if AIM did it or middle_man did it (with the TOC protocol) is another matter, but doesn't really matter.

I would guess it would be pretty simple... But I would say that about 1% of m_m users would use it making it a big waste of time to code if it was anything other then very simple to do.

Not that I would use it, but based on what you have said it's a very good suggestion.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||