Flashing Taskbar

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

nosyt

Flashing Taskbar

Post by nosyt »

Is there ANY way to disable the taskbar from flashing when recieving an IM? I've tried TweakUI, FreshUI to no avail, so please don't suggest those as they will not work.

Any ideas? Google has failed me :(
Jason

Post by Jason »

Are you comfortable with using a hex editor?
nosyt

Post by nosyt »

[quote="just dnL"]Are you comfortable with using a hex editor?[/quote]

Haven't used one before, but I'm pretty comfortable with that type of work. Which hex editor do you recommend? Bring it on!
Jason

Post by Jason »

Here's the info for AIM 5.9.6089:

Open file "icbmui.ocm" and goto address $14B0A (CTRL+G in XVI32, hexadecimal, absolute address). You should see "FF 25 90 E6 3A 11". Change each byte pair to "90", so that it now reads "90 90 90 90 90 90".

-or-

Here's the download if you haven't modified your "icbmui.ocm" yet and just want a drop-in replacement (again, for AIM 5.9.6089).

Let me know if you're using a different version.
nosyt

Post by nosyt »

D'oh, i'm using AIM 5.9.3861

Would the process be the same, you think?

(I'm not using .6089 because of the annoying clicking sound whenever I get a message. I went through the related threads here but it still persisted. The only solution was to delete the actual sound file, which I did not want to do.)

[quote="just dnL"]Here's the info for AIM 5.9.6089:

Open file "icbmui.ocm" and goto address $14B0A (CTRL+G in XVI32, hexadecimal, absolute address). You should see "FF 25 90 E6 3A 11". Change each byte pair to "90", so that it now reads "90 90 90 90 90 90".

-or-

Here's the download if you haven't modified your "icbmui.ocm" yet and just want a drop-in replacement (again, for AIM 5.9.6089).

Let me know if you're using a different version.[/quote]
Jason

Post by Jason »

EDIT: nvm, check your PMs.
nosyt

Post by nosyt »

Sent

edit: opened it up in XVI32 and there was no 14B0A. It shot me to 14B09 instead, and of course the hex values were different. :?

[quote="just dnL"]EDIT: nvm, check your PMs.[/quote]
Jason

Post by Jason »

14B09 is just where the row began... the first few cells were "..09, ..0A, ..0B, ...". The cursor should have gone directly to 14B0A, though.

Anyways, looks like the value was actually the same between both versions, just at a different address ($2A5A6).

:arrow: icbmui.5.9.3861.no-flash.zip

Note that I can't test this because I don't have a full copy of 5.9.3861. Let me know how that works.
nosyt

Post by nosyt »

Worked like a charm. Just curious, how in the world were you able to pinpoint which address was related to the flashing? That's amazing, thanks agian.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I use an awesome disassembler called IDA. icbmui.ocm imports the function o_StartFlashWindow() from oscarui.dll. It also creates "stub" functions for all its imports, so it's just a matter of disabling the stub's jump code.

It goes a little something like this..
Condition for flashing -> call stub function -> stub function calls the imported function.

All I did was overwrite the stub function's code with NOP bytes (90).. NOP is short for No OPeration and simply tells the processor to do nothing.

The modified file goes a little something like this..
Condition for flashing -> call stub function -> stub function does nothing.