"aim is not your default instant messaging program"

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

tk

"aim is not your default instant messaging program"

Post by tk »

i had aim 6.0 and i uninstalled it so i could install 5.9 and use it with middle man. i installed 5.9, rebooted, and when i tried to open it it says "aim is not the default IM program do you want to set it etc" and it has yes and no choices. this window automatically freezes before i can do anything and goes to not responding, i waited 10 minutes and it didnt come back. so i have no way to open aim. how do i get around this? thanks
Jason

Post by Jason »

Before opening AIM click Start -> Set Program Access and Defaults. Select "AOL Instant Messenger" as your defautlt instant messaging program, and click OK.
tk

Post by tk »

thanks a lot man. 1 thing now that im signed on, the buddy list window is automatically really tall and it lets me resize it so its even taller but doesnt let me resize it so its shorter. is there a way to fix that?
tk

Post by tk »

plus it keeps opening every time i open outlook now
tk

Post by tk »

[quote=tk]plus it keeps opening every time i open outlook now[/quote]

anyway to stop that?
Thermite Man

Post by Thermite Man »

you can fix it if you dont ever use the edit button and type in all caps.
Never forget 10/23, OiNK OiNK
cokalsM wrote: If I don’t build the sand castles, the bitches won’t come. It’s not one or the other.
askmeques wrote:thermite is just a walking sellout.
bigcfk wrote:I'm down to get shitfaced either way.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

If I were you, I'd completely uninstall everything related to AIM, including M_M. Then reinstall AIM, run it to make sure it works, then install M_M.
Jason

Post by Jason »

If you look in Outlook preferences there's an option to disable messenger integration. Not sure exactly where it is, though..
Styckz

Post by Styckz »

Both of these program in there settings should have places where you can disable the check if they are the default program. Strangely its usually part of that pop up to not ask you again.

Here are some pictures of the programs Settings screens

AIM:

Outlook:

Just uncheck the boxes for both programs and manually set which one you want to be default (you've done that before) and presto no more messages.