Unable to open initial IM window

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

apeirophobia

Unable to open initial IM window

Post by apeirophobia »

Previously this was an on-again, off-again problem, but recently it has been constant.

After I've signed on, I cannot open an IM window to send an IM. I can only receive IMs from other people. I used to be able to open an IM window to myself, then double-click someone else's screenname and a new tab would appear, but it no longer works. I have also tried changing the drop-down menu and typing in the screenname/selecting it from the list of previously IMed screennames, but when I send the message, the window disappears entirely. I can't figure out how to fix this.

Also, sometimes when I receive an IM, the tab on my taskbar at the bottom continually flashes, even after I have checked it and when no one has IMed me, but this is not nearly as annoying as the first problem.

Please, please, can anyone help?
Jordan K

Post by Jordan K »

What version of Windows, AIM, m_m, and are you currently using any other addons for AIM?
Jordan
apeirophobia

Post by apeirophobia »

AIM 5.9 and m_m 0.3.0004

I figured out that if I have previously talked to the person I'm trying to IM, there is a tabbed IM window open somewhere (invisible to me) and they are IMing me but I can't see them. And therefore I can't open a new IM window to them since there is apparently one already open, somewhere.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

Do you have a multiple-monitor setup? Occasionally windows can get confused with the resolution changes and whatnot, causing the saved location of some windows to change to offscreen locations. Reinstalling AIM and deleting the saved settings would remove all saved locations, and after that everything would be fine (until you fiddled with resolutions again).