Link to 5.9 goes to 6.0 ... and future plans?

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

kryptonite

Link to 5.9 goes to 6.0 ... and future plans?

Post by kryptonite »

I followed the link at the bottom of this page and it installed AIM 6.0 on my computer.

(You guys might want to change that to 5.9.3861 at oldversion.com, or upload an unmodded one that you have.)

Other than that, holy crap! 3rd beta is out! :)

If I can ask about any future plans, then I will. What are they? Improve what you have into a final version like the plans once were? I assume that there are still no plans for 6.0, as was decided back on the old site?
Last edited by kryptonite on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

Yeah, the majority of users decided that AIM Triton/6.0 is utter crap, and the developers are designing middle_man to work with 5.x (right now only 5.9, but this will be changed in the future) since the architecture is different from 6.0
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

[quote=Portfolioso]Yeah, the majority of users decided that AIM Triton/6.0 is utter crap, and the developers are designing middle_man to work with 5.x (right now only 5.9, but this will be changed in the future) since the architecture is different from 6.0[/quote]

Gotcha. No new/revised plans regarding 6.0 then.

Here's my next question. I had 5.5 on here, but during the install of Beta 3 was forced to install 5.9. Wouldn't/shouldn't it work with 5.5 since that is below 5.9? I've always thought that various software works with version X and below (although such lower-numbered versions may not be supported.)

I want to insert a (over/under on the first person to ask about the next version) or (when is the next version coming out) or even a (first person to ask about the next version should be treated ____) joke, but won't.

Open up some wine guys. You deserve it.
Jon8RFC

Post by Jon8RFC »

I haven't tested it on 5.5 myself yet, but no--software isn't always compatible with older versions...think about 6.0 and using middle_man/deadaim/messenger:mate ;)

Plans for 5.5 support are there, and it may even work right now, but it wasn't intended for 5.5--yet--so it hasn't been tested thoroughly enough to claim 5.5-compatibility. It's better for the user if 5.5 isn't claimed to work before it's been tested and confirmed by the creators.
AIM 5.9.6089 || m_m 0.3.0004 || Smilez 3.0 b.15
razor sharp, razor clean
Matt

Post by Matt »

From my understanding, support for m_m is currently at the 5.9 stage. Middle_man won't even install if you are using something other than 5.9. There are future plans to expand to other versions, but as of now, m_m works on *all* subversions of 5.9.
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
Styckz

Re: Link to 5.9 goes to 6.0 ... and future plans?

Post by Styckz »

[quote=kryptonite]I followed the link at the bottom of this page and it installed AIM 6.0 on my computer.

(You guys might want to change that to 5.9.3861 at oldversion.com, or upload an unmodded one that you have.)

[/quote]

I don't think anyone has said anything for this.. or if this should be reposted in the website problems. I do believe he is right though. The link for an unmodified 5.9 AIM is now pointing to version 6.0.
Portfolioso

Post by Portfolioso »

Yeah it checks the version of AIM before it loads. I always "ignore the rules" when testing things and wanted to see how it worked on other versions of AIM, but it didn;t

This is caused by the major changes AIM did with 5.9 as opposed to the others.
John

Post by John »

Fixed the link issue. Sorry about that!
Fate doesn't hang on a wrong, or right choice.
Fortune depends on the tone, of your voice.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

[quote=Portfolioso]Yeah it checks the version of AIM before it loads. I always "ignore the rules" when testing things and wanted to see how it worked on other versions of AIM, but it didn;t

This is caused by the major changes AIM did with 5.9 as opposed to the others.[/quote]

Yeah, I had AIM 5.5 with Beta 2 and figured I could install Beta 3 into the directory where Beta 2 was.

Guess I couldn't.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

[quote=John]Fixed the link issue. Sorry about that![/quote]

Good deal. Something about that made me want to check what krunchsoftware.com had. It still has the "come back in a bit" message. Now that there's really something new, perhaps you'd like to change that?