AIM 5.9 soon to be blocked?

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

kryptonite

AIM 5.9 soon to be blocked?

Post by kryptonite »

I couldn't find this question answered so:

If you go to "My AIM", then "Upgrade AIM", you'll get a message saying that AIM 5.9.6089 is soon to be blocked and that an upgrade to 6.0 is recommended.

MM doesn't plan to offer 6.0 support, do they? What does this mean for MM?
RedXIII

Post by RedXIII »

they've been saying this for years, at least since about 5.2. they never blocked it and they're probably not going to
[quote=bigcfk]I can't remember the question exactly, but the answer was C.[/quote]

By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of J Dubb and subsidiaries.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

They have been saying their going to block 5.9 since 5.2?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
RedXIII

Post by RedXIII »

they've been saying that they're going to block old versions since about that time, smartass :P
[quote=bigcfk]I can't remember the question exactly, but the answer was C.[/quote]

By reading this fine print your soul is now the exclusive property of J Dubb and subsidiaries.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

[quote=RedXIII]they've been saying that they're going to block old versions since about that time, smartass :P[/quote]

*thumbs up*

i was a hard core 4.8 user.... i used AIM+ and wouldnt budge, so i had to keep 4.8.... and they always told me they would stop allowing it.... ha...
[quote]Plasma: This thread is now about how everyone from England has a melty face
Quirk: I second this motion. All in favor?
cokalsM: Im drunk.
bigcfk: i'm too.
Quirk: The motion has passed. The topic of discussion is now Beanie Babies.[/quote]
^ m_m, summed up.
RedXIII

Post by RedXIII »

(told ya so)

PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

[quote=plasma2002][quote=RedXIII]they've been saying that they're going to block old versions since about that time, smartass :P[/quote]

*thumbs up*

i was a hard core 4.8 user.... i used AIM+ and wouldnt budge, so i had to keep 4.8.... and they always told me they would stop allowing it.... ha...[/quote]

Actually the last 4.8.x series was (is?) supported for a long time because it was the last version that worked on Win 98.
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Jason

Post by Jason »

5.x worked on 98, 4.x was kept for 95

I seem to remember about a year ago trying to sign on with an early version of 5.x and getting a sign on error telling me that I was using an obsolete client, but it was likely that there was a specific problem with that build and that was the reason it was blocked. Can't remember which build it was, though, it was on someone else's computer.

If they do begin to block newer 5.x builds, it will probably be at a point in time when Vista is more widely adopted (as 5.x has compatibility issues with Vista). For now they'll just continue to add exclusive features to AIM 6.0 to entice you to switch, such as images in profiles.
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Or their just keep on adding features to entice you not to switch like images :-P
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

[quote=PhaseDMA]Or their just keep on adding features to entice you not to switch like images :-P[/quote]

Sir our thoughts are the same.