Convert V2 logs to V3

Discuss anything related to middle_man in here. Questions, comments and feedback are welcomed. Please search before you post.

Moderator: Moderators

pacohaas

Convert V2 logs to V3

Post by pacohaas »

sorry for the repost, but thought this deserved it's own post in the correct forum:

I made a batch file that seems to work for the most part, it gave me one error when I dragged all my folders, but when I did sections of it at a time(~20 screennames or so) it seemed to work great and now all my folders are converted to the new style:

copy the following into a .bat file:

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
:Loop
IF %1=="" GOTO Continue
cd %1
cd ..
mkdir MM_temp
move "%~n1" MM_temp
ren "MM_temp\%~n1" IMs
ren MM_temp "%~n1"
SHIFT
GOTO Loop
:Continue
Note that I started this when I had already began the moving process so you have to move the <yourscreenname> folder up out of the \Instant Messages\ folder first.
Step two is to go into the <yourscreenname> folders and drag the <buddysn> folders onto this batch file
Step 3: there is no step 3.
pacohaas

Post by pacohaas »

now if i could just figure out how to transfer my aliases, that'd be great
Quirk

Post by Quirk »

i think someone might have a batch file for that too.

i have a feeling it's either port or jon.
pacohaas

Post by pacohaas »

i saw one for saving them off, i guess it wouldn't be too hard to see what's going on there and extend that to importing into V3 style Aliases
pacohaas

Post by pacohaas »

Alright here's my notes on how transferring aliases would have to work. Seems simple enough that the Developers could include a Utility within middle_man to do this, as well as one to transfer the Logs.

Make a .reg file similar to this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\middle_man\users\screenname\Buddies\buddy1]
"Alias"="Buddy One"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\middle_man\users\screenname\Buddies\buddy2]
"Alias"="Buddy Two"
from one that looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\middle_man\users\screenname\Aliases]
"buddy1"="Buddy One"
"buddy2"="Buddy One"
Then all you have to do is run the .reg file before middleman/AIM starts up and you'll have your aliases. Generating the 2nd .reg file full of old Aliases is as easy as selecting that node in regedit and Exporting it. I'll work on another batch file that will convert it to a reg file for V3 if people think it's useful. I'm suprised the developers haven't thought of this so if something like this has already been done, let me know. I don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Anyone interested in a conversion app?
deeesseee

Post by deeesseee »

[quote="just dnL"]Anyone interested in a conversion app?[/quote]
Sure, especially if it works with other plugins. If you work in m_m b2 and b3, Vario, and Gaim (now Pidgin), you have me sold.
[quote="Thermite Man"]YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A SIG hahhahahaha!!! noob...[/quote]
Jason

Post by Jason »

It would just be for going from M_M 0.2 -> 0.3.
Nappicious

Post by Nappicious »

I'd use it.
Shink

Re: Convert V2 logs to V3

Post by Shink »

[quote=pacohaas]sorry for the repost, but thought this deserved it's own post in the correct forum:

I made a batch file that seems to work for the most part, it gave me one error when I dragged all my folders, but when I did sections of it at a time(~20 screennames or so) it seemed to work great and now all my folders are converted to the new style:

copy the following into a .bat file:

@ECHO OFF
:Loop
IF %1=="" GOTO Continue
cd %1
cd ..
mkdir MM_temp
move "%~n1" MM_temp
ren "MM_temp\%~n1" IMs
ren MM_temp "%~n1"
SHIFT
GOTO Loop
:Continue
Note that I started this when I had already began the moving process so you have to move the <yourscreenname> folder up out of the \Instant Messages\ folder first.
Step two is to go into the <yourscreenname> folders and drag the <buddysn> folders onto this batch file
Step 3: there is no step 3.[/quote]

Alright. Sorry for the stupid question, but what directory should the bat be in?

Right now i've got my old screenname filled with logs directory dragged out to the c drive, and the bat inside it dragging the log folders onto it. definitely not how it ought to be happening, I think.

Sorry, i'm a big confused retard right now.