Moto X or Nexus 5?

This forum is for general topics.

Moderator: Moderators

kryptonite

Re: Moto X or Nexus 5?

Post by kryptonite »

The fact that the iPhone camera doesn't flip the selfies around so you're looking at them "normal" is uber-annoying. Not that I take a lot of selfies, but I still stay away.

I know they've gone to a stronger glass, but everyone with their broken screens and it's amazing that people still buy iPhones. When I had my iPod touch with a flip phone and Android phones had stronger glass... decision made.

Plus Android OS is more open and runs on many more devices. (Something like 75% of all phones are Android-based.)
Matt

Post by Matt »

They updated the software to enable flipped selfies recently
21:01:17 <+PhaseDMA> ?ban god
21:01:17 <@SchwippyBot> ***BANNING: god***
21:01:19 -!- mode/#the-schwippy-tree [+b *!*@*] by SchwippyBot
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

Matt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:06 pm They updated the software to enable flipped selfies recently
Now to tell the masses. TBH, this should have been the default setting in the first software to have that camera.

But is it weird that I think of "flipped selfies" as the backwards one? I don't want to look at a photo of you like I'm standing next to you in front of a mirror. I want to look at you like how I'd normally do so.
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

i upgraded to a pixel 3a about a year ago after getting sick of waiting for the 4a to release, it's starting to slow down and the battery is running out surprisingly fast for only a year old and not using it very much in the pandemic... but otherwise it's been just a straight improvement on my OG pixel

i just can't believe some of the random bugs / poor design google still hasn't fixed with the pixel launcher. like how if you search for something using the bar at the bottom, and then you search for something else, you lose that first search completely, which forces you to do this tedious "open in browser" action if you're searching for multiple things to compare them. and if you open a link in the now-ad-riddled feed, and go "back", it'll dump you into the last thing you searched for no good reason
Wotcher

Post by Wotcher »

oh and my 3a also will sometimes OPEN notifications automatically as they come in!! good god it's horrifying because it makes me wonder what notifications i'm losing because it's opening them while it's in my pocket (phone is unlocked while it's connected to my wifi)
PhaseDMA

Post by PhaseDMA »

Wotcher wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:52 am i upgraded to a pixel 3a about a year ago after getting sick of waiting for the 4a to release, it's starting to slow down and the battery is running out surprisingly fast for only a year old and not using it very much in the pandemic... but otherwise it's been just a straight improvement on my OG pixel

i just can't believe some of the random bugs / poor design google still hasn't fixed with the pixel launcher. like how if you search for something using the bar at the bottom, and then you search for something else, you lose that first search completely, which forces you to do this tedious "open in browser" action if you're searching for multiple things to compare them. and if you open a link in the now-ad-riddled feed, and go "back", it'll dump you into the last thing you searched for no good reason
Yikes. I have the S10+ and for the first time in a long time I'm completely happy. My biggest concern from day one was battery life, as Samsung devices have been piss poor in this regard, but to my absolute shock this phone is still lasting 1+ days. I mean I charge it every night, but it could make it without doing so. I don't by any means do anything performance demanding, but I've never hit a performance wall (take that as you will). I don't see any reason why this phone can't get me through another year (or more). In my mind the only reason to upgrade is to maintain value (ie trade in this phone for a decent amount and upgrade for a decent amount).
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
My MPG sucks cause' I remote start all the time - And than drive 2 miles to work
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

kryptonite wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:34 pm Close to 2.5 years with the Pixel 2 XL and I love it. It's still fast. It still has an impressive battery life. It rocks as a miniature TV.

The unlimited data (added for the Disney+ promo) is great stuff.

Oh, and the last update to the OS other than maybe 1-2 security updates? Let's see how long I can rock this phone.

I still am! (I keep it plugged in most of the day anyway, if it's in the car or at home or whatever. I have it playing audio most of the day.)
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

Update:

The case on my Pixel 2 XL was rapidly deteriorating earlier this year and the battery had been going south since the start of the summer. A few weeks ago 5-6 or so, I got the battery replaced. I didn't want to get the Pixel 5 because I knew the 6 was close...and I made that mistake previously. (I think it was the Galaxy 6 right before the 7 came out.)

So Saturday the 13th, my phone dropped off a low shelf. The screen turned off. This happened before and I could simply turn it on. This time around, no dice.

I take it back to the phone repair store on Monday the 15th and they have it all week. The battery they put in previously still tested good...no water damage, no obvious physical damage, etc.

About Thursday the 18th, I end up with a Pixel 6.

This was after the previous hell I had gone through when the phone screen cracked and of course they couldn't send it in until I got it repaired. I did. Then I tried to get a claim for the battery and I'm standing in their authorized repair place and the phone representative couldn't find it in their system. I go to the a different location she recommended and they give me the same runaround ("we don't do batteries.")

I knew I should have taken it to the other place first...the place I took it to that replaced the battery on my dime.

So yeah, new battery. No need to use charging stations or take a cord in my pocket.
kryptonite

Post by kryptonite »

I'm still on the Pixel 6.

If they don't make em like they used to, I'm glad. This is the second phone I've had...ever...that I can use for longer than two years and it still works (almost) as good as new. I did have to take it in for a deep clean a few months ago because some dirt got inside and I think the charging connector isn't 100%, but it still works great.